Do you grow things purposely for the neighbors?

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
I grow more than I need to give to those that don't. But I grow nothing that I don't like/eat unless someone else in my family asks for it. I grew some arugula my wife had to have last year. One taste and she never touched it again and the chickens wouldn't even touch it.
OMG, I couldn't KEEP my chickens out of my arugula beds!! They loved it!

And yes, arugula is known by many names, including roquette and even Rocket Lettuce in some places. There are also different varieties of arugula, some more peppery than others. Arugula ... in my humble opinion ... is best eaten when it is young, as its pungent flavor becomes more pronounced as the leaves mature, as well as becoming somewhat bitter. When the leaves are young and tender, they have a mild spicy flavor & makes a nice arugula pesto!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine got large and older so part of my problem as well. Thanks for info.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Arugula pesto? There's a thought.
Oh it's delicious! I'm not sure, but I think I got the recipe from Food Network. I haven't made any in a couple of years.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As far as the original question goes.....yes but by volume not in particular. I haven't received any special requests yet but if I did I would gladly fill them for friends and family. We grow a LOT of of veggies, with the intent of having extra. I share them with my in-laws who live very close as well as my wife's grandmother. She used to have a garden for years and years till she physically couldn't and had to give it up. So we regulalry drive over with a bag of fresh veggies. She is always thrilled to have us stop by with things, because she knows what it takes to get what we share.

Plus we tend to share whatever we get from the U-pick farms too. We'll go to the farms and orchards spend a day picking be it strawberries, raspberries, apples, peaches, whatever is in season. We always stop on the way back and drop off a portion of whatever we pick, covered in sweat and sunblock and a good layer of dirt but she never minds. Then later after we're done canning we'll take more over to her to enjoy that way also. My wife has also been known to take over a pie after we've gone picking.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My neighbors are all Mexican so I never have a surplus that they aren't glad to get. Most of them still cook from scratch instead of buying processed junk.

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I always start extra plants and give the leftovers to my co-workers. The first year, they wanted to know what an heirloom tomato was, but now they anxiously wait for the plants. I also share plants with a neighbor, we sort of coordinate what we seed so we can swap.

But I also share a ton of extra produce with my mom, co-workers, the parking meter ladies, you name it -- you would be surprised how welcome a bag of zuchini is to someone who has no garden and is surpised to see it offered ( when we are up to our eyes in it.).

However, I'd encourage you to call your local feed bank if you have extras. In my area, they will come to your house to pick up extra fresh produce.

jakesebastin

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I grow purposely but not for my neighbors. I grow as per my choice and as i wanted and as per my requirement. I required the tomato and the potato plants regularly and i do have both of them at home.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our garden is in small beds in the front yard. I wish I had more space because I would plant more garden! MUHAHA MUHAHA!!! I plant not in rows, but by numbers........18 tomato plants, 8 zuchinni, 8 yellow squash, 4 bell peppers....... you get the picture. Even so, out of 2 small beds 2'x4', I harvested a bumper crop of new potatoes and shared with my daughter, SIL, and grand daughter. The green beans explode in production and I give those away to various people, my husbands co-workers, friends. http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33860 Squash has produced like mad and I have put up tons in the freezer and gave a lot away too.

So while I don't purposely grow extra for friends and neighbors, I certainly share what I am blessed with in abundance.

We also have 8 hens and always send our daughter's family home with 3-4 dozen. We are a bit more particular who we share those with, but have our favorites that get blessed with fresh eggs.

I am currently dehydrating tomatoes for SIL, he likes to cook with them and none of them like fresh tomatoes. We call them un-sun dried tomatoes! Now that I have tasted them, I will put some up for us too!