Done planting!!! How is your garden growing???

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Got my cauliflower and broccoli seedlings in the ground and the broccoli is 'brockling' already! :weee It's supposed to be in the 20's tonite so I guess we will cover them. My greenhouse is working out great, with the heater in it. The tomatoes and peppers are getting really big and most are in 1 gallons now. They should be ready to go right to work when I put them in the ground in June! Still have only 1 tomatillo and it is in a 5 gallon bucket now. It has been a rocket right from the start and I can't get any other tomatillo seeds to germinate! :hu

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
garden is going great guns. it's been in the 80s during the day & 60s during the night. tomorrow night a front comes in & Thursday is going to be in the 50s & thurs night it will be 39!!!!!!!!! with 20-30mph north winds. my garden is in so much trouble.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
bj, that must be the same system that is threatening our area in a few days. Hope the wind doesn't ruin your tender plants. I don't think the 39 degrees will kill anything, but peppers and eggplants won't apperciate it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
bj taylor said:
garden is going great guns. it's been in the 80s during the day & 60s during the night. tomorrow night a front comes in & Thursday is going to be in the 50s & thurs night it will be 39!!!!!!!!! with 20-30mph north winds. my garden is in so much trouble.
Got bedsheets? make garden ghosties! (just be sure to weight the sheets down with rocks or bricks or you'll have garden parachutes)

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had a couple of cool nites, the only thing that baulked is the cucumbers!!! sounds like everyone is off to a good start!! my sweet potatoes are finally up along with asparagus, and green and wax beans harvested 4 chickens and tonites dinner will be TOTALLY home grown. :tools

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am once again off to a late start.

Pushing the envelope of a cool spring is always my tactic. I'm not sure if it is a good one. Plants that are stressed may not recover properly. Even cool-season plants like bok choy and onions may respond to severe cold by blooming instead of growing.

I am so glad that I got some water on the bok choy, kale and sunflowers that have already been set out. I think the spinach appreciated it too but, it should know better than to germinate and begin to grow when it's too cold ;). Well, I mean it has had some time to acclimate itself to repeated frosts. Plants started in a warmer place and then set out, even with some hardening off, must have it tougher. Just damage to the roots from transplanting would make it so.

Even the weeds are having a tough time getting started again this year. Now, with such a dry start to the year, it would be nice to imagine that there will be a warm May here. It would make an enormous amount of difference. Water isn't too much of a problem here. The only time I've had to garden with water restrictions was when the water district had violated state law because of a mad rush to development. The state imposed restrictions so the district had to do a "before noon" limit on residential use. The aquifer here is substantial, the snow pack is good and I am mostly gardening in an agricultural zone.

I know that some of you in the Midwest are experiencing too much rain and that can't be good. But with wind and cold, water can have a defensive and healing benefit.

Steve

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the1honeycomb, I love the idea of a totally home grown meal like that. one of these days in the not too distant future, i'm going to do that too :fl

steve, you should post pics of your place in general. I bet it's fabulously beautiful in your part of the country. are you in the mountains or is it high plains?

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I jumped the gun on my potatoes and got about 2lbs of new red potatoes. I replanted the plants and hope that the littles that are there will regrow and I didn't waste a good crop. I still have 14 bags so it isn't a big waste but I have to learn patience.
:duc will be spreading chicken manure and composte to fertilize my tomatoes and I'm ready to start canning!!!!:drool

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
bj taylor said:
. . . steve, you should post pics of your place in general. I bet it's fabulously beautiful in your part of the country. are you in the mountains or is it high plains?
It is probably easiest to post this link, BJ: 2012 Before and After Garden Photos

Notice that altho' I started that 1st post in February, the final edit was 09/12/2012. Really, the pictures are all from "peak season" :p!

My gardens are all in a valley that runs between 2 mountain ranges and out into what is called the Columbia Plateau. Farther out in the plateau, it is generally called a "basin" but the bottom of that basin is about 1500 feet lower in elevation. The mountain ranges are one from the Rocky Mountains to the east, and the Selkirk Mountains to the west and north. It ain't heaven but pretty nice :).

Steve

Latest posts