Done planting!!! How is your garden growing???

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got a few things in the ground a few weeks ago. Radish, turnip, peas ands potatoes. Since then it has been Rain, rain and more rain. We are officialy out of drought and right into FLOODING. :rant Crazy weather here.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted the Blackberries along the north and west sides of my garden and it provides a bit of a wind block, I do have to be very careful about the tomatoes though. The organic sweet potatoes are n ot growing either have had them for a month!!! noone seems to have any slips to b uy wo I am out of luck! I will n ot give up on this quest LoL!!

fair weather chicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
after dw planted some peas in a raised bed last sunday, we have gotten about 5 inches of rain. woke up this am to find about 3 inches in the yard. garden is under water. chickens are not happy. turkeys are still dry. hens are on eggs, don't want them getting wet. the only ones happy about this are the labs, the shepard says no thanks, i'll just cross my legs and do the pee pee dance.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OH! NO!!:he My dogs would love the rain! it always seems to come in when we least need it!! :he I am hoping for rain tomorrow, most of my seeds are up and ready to start producing my crops!!:ya

Still no Sweet potatoes! Bonnie said they wouldn't ship any till mid May:th

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, seed to outside soil for Beans weather has just now arrived here.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:weee My sweet potatoes are growing roots!!!:celebrate I will plant them in feed bags in the morning!!!!:ya

My corn is 2 inches tall! and I eat carrots out of my garden that were left from last year!!!!:woot

I LOve Spring!!!:weight I have 2 hens sitting on nests and should have chicks in 2 weeks!!!:thumbsup

I am so close to being self sufficient!!! picking dandelions for jelly first try, anyone have this??

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
the1honeycomb said:
:weee My sweet potatoes are growing roots!!!:celebrate I will plant them in feed bags in the morning!!!!:ya

My corn is 2 inches tall! and I eat carrots out of my garden that were left from last year!!!!:woot

I LOve Spring!!!:weight I have 2 hens sitting on nests and should have chicks in 2 weeks!!!:thumbsup

I am so close to being self sufficient!!! picking dandelions for jelly first try, anyone have this??
I posted a dandelion recipe here. I am picking flowers too!

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=35697

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We must have had right at .25" of rain here. That makes for a "rainy day" by our standards. Let's see, it would be more than 1% of the annual precip . . . Almost rained 30 minutes out of every hour. Of course, you could walk between the drops without getting wet during some of those episodes.

Anyway, it was just about perfect for the onion plants that went out this week. They are about the size of dog hairs. Well, more like the size of porcupine quills. Could be about 175% porcupine quill-size. Yeah, they are out there and they are a little wet :rolleyes:.

Close to being Self-sufficient? So, you've got a percent of that you'd care to share on that, the1honeycomb?

Steve

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would love to go 100% but my DH says no cow! I buy milk and fresh fruits and veggies grains
I trade for meats and use egg money for dairy.
Sugar and milk are my 2 biggest expenses. I guess if things work out like I plan I'll be 75 % this year!
It may be cheating but I count the food I barter for as being self sufficient if i don't have to go to work to afford it:love. What is your opinion

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
the1honeycomb said:
. . . I'll be 75 % this year! . . .
Got her ! Next year, you can think about 85%, or 90%!!

Opinion? Well, I used to be fairly close to self-sufficient. Of course, I didn't make the nails that I used to hammered together my cabin. But, food!! Yes, I was doing fairly well with that. And, I was moving away from so much meat, which had dominated my diet growing up . . . I nearly said "animal protein" instead of "meat" but I was really allowing eggs to take up some of that column.

Even my brief "fling" with a vegetarian diet, I just limited dairy and began to eat more fish. What do we call that kind of vegetarian - a "slacker."

Anyway, I began growing soybeans a couple of years ago. I swear I don't know of a single soybean field within a hundred miles. They are grown by the trainloads in other parts of the country but I knew I'd be a little challenged to come up with a variety that would do okay here. Discovered edamame - Yum! I learned to make tofu and I have to say that I looked rather long at that liquid I was using and thinking that it compared quite closely to what was in a carton in my fridge. Yeah, I gave up dairy milk about 10 years ago. Do you think we could make our own soy milk????? I bet we could.

Steve

Latest posts