Drama Queen Client

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I regret to say my Bucky was just such a dog. He roamed our acreage at will and seemed to take special enjoyment in rolling through the burdocks.

I would hack away at his matted fur to little avail and with little improvement in his general looks.

Finally, I took him in to the Vet for a shave and a haircut. This old dog of mine came back looking for all the world like a Dalmatian puppy. Even had one offer to buy my unusually calm and dignified Dalmatian pup.

Bucky had long been an outside dog. First, he seemed to prefer laying in a snow pile outside to laying on a rug in the TV room. As soon as he'd get in, he'd ask to go out to make his constant rounds "protecting" the house and property.

The day he came home with his first haircut, however, he walked right up to the front door as if he always went in the guest door and never looked back. He was an inside dog from that day on.

He had several shaves after that and still preferred to spend most of his time outside but darkness brought him in from that day on, sleeping on the floor on my side of the bed.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a hoot! I'm going to take notes from you and apply that to my parenting strategy, lol. Poor dog. Glad you didn't torture it for her sake!

I shaved my chow mix bald one summer and she was so ashamed she hid under the kitchen table for 2 weeks. It does indeed grow back!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie I remember those days of pulling large amounts of ticks off dogs. Luckly they are gone with new tick products out I might find 1 or 2 dead ones. Dogs react differently to being shaved down some feel good and almost prance about others will hide. When you try to brushout a very matted dog the skin gets inflamed from the repeated brushing. to the point of bleeding. Some people care so much for only looks they will make groomer do it. When I was young and needed clients I had to do it many times. Now I tell them find a groomer who needs money I willn''t do it.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lady bought her matted sheepdog in for grooming today. After checking condition of dogs coat I told her he would have to be shaved down. She did not want her dog shaved, I told her I wasn't going torture her dog brushing out the mats. She agreed to do best for dog and shave it. When I brought her bald dog out she fell to the floor crying. I said hold that pose I need to get my camera. She asked if anyone else ever cried over haircut, I said no one over 10 years old. She said she felt silly was I going to tell anyone. Yep As soon as you out that door I am posting on youtube, that sure stopped the crying. It has been a very long hot day my tolerance level is low.

This put a grin on my face!!! Wish I could have been there....I think you must be my long lost brother or something, because that sounds exactly like something I'd say! :lol:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lady bought her matted sheepdog in for grooming today. After checking condition of dogs coat I told her he would have to be shaved down. She did not want her dog shaved, I told her I wasn't going torture her dog brushing out the mats. She agreed to do best for dog and shave it. When I brought her bald dog out she fell to the floor crying. I said hold that pose I need to get my camera. She asked if anyone else ever cried over haircut, I said no one over 10 years old. She said she felt silly was I going to tell anyone. Yep As soon as you out that door I am posting on youtube, that sure stopped the crying. It has been a very long hot day my tolerance level is low.
Really shaved ? Or just very short? My neighbor used to get her golden shorn for the summer-it was so beautiful..

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, folks with dogs with those long, double fur coats don't realize that the fur insulates them from the heat just as much as it does from the cold. Removing those guard hairs of the long coat just makes them hotter...which is likely why they seek shelter indoors in the AC when they've been buzzed.

Latest posts