Fall Gardening

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I usually garden in the spring and summer and then plant garlic in the fall and nothing until spring again. This year I am planning on doing a fall garden and maybe try overwintering also. I am in zone 5b, SE Ohio. When do you start planting a fall garden? I harvested peas and lettuce and broccoli already and my cabbage is getting ready. Do I plant now and then harvest like summer or do I wait until closer to fall?

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hunkie, I'm thinking about doing the same ... but, I'm a bit farther south than you, in Central TX.
But I'm in the same place as you ... trying to figure out WHAT to plant, WHEN. :)

CountryGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I also plan on doing a fall planting. I plan on putting in chard, spinach, lettuce, Kale and peas. I'm going to wait until late August. Most crops take about 80 days to mature. Also, the Ohio Ag website has a spring and fall planting guide. Good Luck!

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I usually plant seeds the end of July . Cabbage, carrots beans, corn, onions, califlowers, and other I may plant. I prune my tomatoes and they will grow back and produced more tomatoes !

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might try contacting your county extension agent or maybe a local master gardener and see it they can help with your local planting times. It will be different for each of us. One of the problems is that the days are getting shorter and cooler, not longer and hotter, as you near maturity time. I think that slows things down as far as finishing.

I usually plant late August-Early September here. That's sewing seeds for carrots, beets, chard, kale, and leeks. I transplant cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower with plants I get from a local garden center. I sew seeds for lettuce and mesclun in September since it just won't grow in the heat of summer here. In October I put out sets of garlic and onions. I think that's all. Sometimes they make really well and sometimes they don't do real well. Depends on how cool or warm the fall is and when it turns really cold.

The onions give me green onions pretty early in the spring and they do bulb up, but a lot of them bolt. I think that's because they go through the freezing weather. I plant others in the spring.

If the carrots make, I leave them in the ground over winter and just pull some to eat as we go. They stay real sweet until it warms up enough for them to start growning again, then they turn bitter.

The chard and kale might or might not give me something before they freeze, but they live through the winter and give me greens pretty early in the spring. I do mulch them but in a mild winter, that's not necessary here.

The leeks live through the winter even without mulch and give me some nice leeks in mid to late spring.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am in zone 6 though I only buy zone 5 shrubs. I plant the last crop of corn and squash by july 4th and beans by August 1.
HunkieDorie23 said:
I usually garden in the spring and summer and then plant garlic in the fall and nothing until spring again. This year I am planning on doing a fall garden and maybe try overwintering also. I am in zone 5b, SE Ohio. When do you start planting a fall garden? I harvested peas and lettuce and broccoli already and my cabbage is getting ready. Do I plant now and then harvest like summer or do I wait until closer to fall?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
'Dorie, I plant snow peas for harvest about the end of September - during the last week of July.

Greens, pretty much all of what I have in the spring garden, are planted as the temperature cools in late August. Those are things like mustard greens, bok choy and lettuce.

Those are not my only fall crops. I do set out more summer squash around the 4th of July that won't start producing until about the 1st of September. Green beans are planted until about the 15th of July for harvest about the same time. Of course, sweet corn seed has been sown multiple times for harvest right up until frost. Tomato plants continue producing, etc. etc.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
SweetMissDaisy said:
Hunkie, I'm thinking about doing the same ... but, I'm a bit farther south than you, in Central TX.
But I'm in the same place as you ... trying to figure out WHAT to plant, WHEN. :)
In Texas I'd give it a bit more time; somewhere around late August or early September. Some of the cole family seeds won't sprout if the ground is too warm. About the time you give up on them the ground cools down and off they go.

BTW, thanks for the get well card when I was recovering. It was appreciated. You get kind of isolated in recovery and it's nice to be reminded someone out there still cares. :)

Latest posts