Fashion in the garden

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
At home it's whatever works.

On jobs I try to be as presentable as I can. Which works for about 10 minutes.

Fall and spring cleanups it's usually my insulated overalls over Carharts, thermal shirt, long sleeved tee, hoody sweatshirt, wool sox in snowboots, with a raincoat over the whole mess.

Summertime it's Carharts, long sleeve Tee, hiking boots. HOT summertime it's cut off Carharts a tank top and running shoes..
Head gear is a lifeguard straw hat, or if I know I'm going to be diving into shrubs, a ball cap.

Oh yeah, and I usually strap on my kneepads first thing and they stay on all day.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Working in the garden, I'm likely to wear as little as possible. . . shorts, tank tops, and flip-flops or even bare feet. In fact, I've been known to wear even less upon occasion. Not a problem as we live well off the beaten path and couldn't see the neighbors even with a good pair of binoculars.

I have finally started wearing sun screen, but I really don't spend hours at a time in the garden anyway. Once the weather gets hot, I do most of my work early in the morning and even during the day, I'm likely to go out for a while and end up somewhere in the shade before very long. Retirement has its advantages.

Love, Smart Red

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
DigitS I LOVE the Doc Martin show, I can't wait for them to make the new episodes, I think they are starting this month on that (or I heard they were). If its summer, my hair is twirled and clasped at the back of my head and its a tank top and shorts and usually barefoot. LOL But I'm not a farmer, I just like my little garden and my flower beds. Half the time I get sidetracked going to the back to the above-ground pool and find myself weeding or picking stuff in my bathing suit. LOL

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
Smart Red I guess you don't have poison ivy if "you're known to wear less"
Yup! I've had poison ivy. The last time, I had it in places I couldn't even reach. Because of that, I missed a week of school - I could wear even less that week - BUT, I got my beloved shade garden, cleaned, tilled, and planted during the perfect weather we had.

Turns out it was my dog that found the poison ivy and proceeded to sleep on my bath robe. Yikes!

Love, Smart Red

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
early in the season it's tee shirt shorts and boots with a generous spray of off with deet, we have chiggers, after a full on chemical warfare for the eructation of the little buggers that never seams to work 100 %,
they still find a personal spot to bit.........

they love the blackberries and asparagus bed.

then it's back to a tee shirt or not, shorts and flap flops with my straw hat, on the weekend add a couple beers while watering and weeding and mowing.

and then it also depends on who the "professional renters" are going to be in the single wide above us every other year.. that's a story all by it self.

yup go on a poison ivy hunt as well after 14 years have almost removed it.....

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel the same way about snakes. They can be 3 inches long and I will still let out a scream. We don't even have venomous snakes around here! It is not about fear of being bitten it is all about the gross slither. Don't mind bugs of any kind . will take fish off a line-filet them etc. But snakes????? Grooooooosssss! I have worked hard to be able to watch them a bit on TV.
Nyboy said:
What do you wear when gardening? I have a deep fear of snakes and a yard infested with them. Once I came across 5 different snakes in one afternoon. Because of this fear I always wear heavy doc martens that come up almost to the knee ( left over from my punk rock days) . Then a pair of sweat pants, long shelve shirt. Boots and sweat pants look very funny but I don't care, have even run to garden center dress this way. Do you have a gardening outfit?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I can't tolerate knee pads for very long... :p
Yeah, they're kind of uncomfortable when it gets hot. Who knew your knees could sweat so much??
But I finally found some that I like in the tile department at Home Dumpo. And they're about half the price of all those silly gardening ones I've bought over the years. I really can't work without them. I spend a lot of time crawling around under bushes!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat I agree it is the way they move that freaks me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!While we have copperheads and timber rattle snakes, I have never seen one.

Latest posts