Fashion in the garden

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometimes I can sneak in a few minutes of weed pulling, etc. when I am actually supposed to be "working". I tell myself- do not kneel down, do not get mud on your knees. For a few minutes, I remember. When I am actually gardening- yeah, you don't want to know, and there will be no pictures! I agree with the "southern prayer". I don't wear nail polish in the winter- but it is great for hiding the dirt in my nails during summer! When I am telling myself not to get my knees dirty, I am also thinking, "I probably should have found my gloves..."

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
journey11 said:
I can't tolerate knee pads for very long... :p
Yeah, they're kind of uncomfortable when it gets hot. Who knew your knees could sweat so much??
But I finally found some that I like in the tile department at Home Dumpo. And they're about half the price of all those silly gardening ones I've bought over the years. I really can't work without them. I spend a lot of time crawling around under bushes!
At least jeans with holes in the knees are back in style. :D

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fashion in the garden?

what's already dirty is best. if it's cold, layers. if its hot july or august, swimming trunks and hippy thongs :p gotsta always have a hat!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I only have snakes when I let the grass grow too long for an extended time, even then, they are just black snakes.
I wear w/e I have on to garden or work with my critters. So if I dressed up for a dinner, when I get back home and the animals need feeding, I won't change.
But in the boiling summertime, I wear a swimsuit most of the time, I cannot stand the heat and humidity.
I also wear a little mud here and there. :D

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
When were they out?
journey11 said:
thistlebloom said:
journey11 said:
I can't tolerate knee pads for very long... :p
Yeah, they're kind of uncomfortable when it gets hot. Who knew your knees could sweat so much??
But I finally found some that I like in the tile department at Home Dumpo. And they're about half the price of all those silly gardening ones I've bought over the years. I really can't work without them. I spend a lot of time crawling around under bushes!
At least jeans with holes in the knees are back in style. :D

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hear tell that the new way to wear jeans is to get them with really short legs and then only pull them up barely past the knees and wear some sort of long coat.

Is that true? I got a visual of that. Not a pretty sight!

Now, I've lived through some jeans fashions...

Pegged super tight when I was a little kid, to be like that guy in those movies who crashed his hotrod.

Then it was with the colorful paisley hems. I liked that! from 1965 to around 1974 most of my jeans had that!

Then it was bell bottoms. Those overlapped with the paisley hems from around 1970 to around 1979.

Then it was the stretch jeans. that reminded me of the pegged jeans. wasn't much comfortable. most of my jeans then were regular levis 501 or whatever the number is.

Then it was just the regular jeans. Still is.

but i gotta get hayley here to sew on those paisley hems! that'll be in about a year.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used to be bad wearing whatever out to the garden. It was always "Oh I just have to go pick..." or Id see something that needed to be addressed or weeded real fast and then I'm filthy. Marriage has certainly fixed that issue. My wife told me that she'd quit buying me new clothes if I was just going to trash them out in the garden.

So now I have some get "stuff" done clothes that I wear. Right now I've got 2 pair of ANCIENT wrangler jeans and some REALLY thread bare t-shirts. Couple of them even have the sleeves cut off since the seams were starting to split. That extra room and ventilation makes a difference when your digging your 3rd 60' trench for potatoes by hand.

I will also admit to going to Walmart to buy the cheapest pair of white or grey sneakers I can find specifically to wear out to the garden. I've yet to spend more than 10 dollars on a pair but believe me it makes a difference. I rarely wear those sneakers with socks though so if they get wet I don't care. I often go barefoot once things are planted and I'm just going to pick something to make dinner but if I'm going to work Ill step into them. Those sneakers do live in the garage though because they quickly smell something AWFUL :sick

I also wear those clothes out to train the dogs, and process in too so they are my all purpose clothes. That couple minutes it takes to get changed makes a much happier DW!!!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Doc Martin? I watch that show on teevee! 8pm on Sundays!

I must be 50 miles from the nearest rattlesnake - I hope! Hush Puppies and 501 Levi's, partly because having a pair was so important to me when I was a kid. I'll go for the most thin and thread-bare during hot weather.

Baseball cap with some (imagined) appropriate logo - bought one the other day that says "Cultivator" ;).

Jackets and shirts vary with the weather. I am inclined to wear long-sleeve but not comfortable in them during the hottest part of year. Besides, they shrink a little and I can't get the sleeves buttoned.

Steve
who is wearing a new pair of wool socks, today :)!
Steve - I LOVE Doc Martin - I bought all the DVD's and watch them over and over!

Stained tee shirts, shorts and tennis shoes and my garden hat - every piece of clothing I own has seen the garden at least once I think.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
just jeans and a t shirt, usually a home tie dyed shirt :lol: i grew up a little late for the hippie era but i still love my tie dyed shirts! i'm bad about getting a nice wide brimmed hat but i should get one if i can find a style i'd prefer. i'm usually barefoot after a few minutes of walking through with my crocs or muck boots. the dirt fills them up quickly so it is much easier to go barefoot while working.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just wear jeans, T-shirt, work boots, and a ball cap. Just like everyday.
I just had a visual of all of us walking down the street in our gardening garb lol. What a sight we would be!!...:)

Latest posts