First Time Turkeys

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
7434_turkeys_3-14-2013_009.jpg

It's time for a new flock of chickens this year as the current flock is four years old. Although they are beautiful and still laying we need more production. A local farm store chain that we used to buy chicks from is now selling them for $5.49 straight run!

Since we don't need roosters I stopped at our local Co-op and was told I can get Marans for about $3.00 each sexed. I told the young man SOLD! Since the Easter Eggers would not be in until May the Marans are an excellent alternative especially at that price.

We have always wanted to try some turkeys and I just could not resist. The real goal with them is to have a hen or two and get a few eggs. The others will have a short vacation on the grill.

This is the perfect motivation for me to get the retirement coop ready for the old girls and prepare for the new arrivals! :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats on your new arrivals! I am very interested to hear how it goes with turkeys... Do keep us posted. They certainly are cute! Will you keep them with the chickens?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I stopped at the feed store to buy some chicken food, and fell in love with the ducklings. Lucky there was a big sign that you had to buy 6 or more. If I could have bought 2 I might be raising ducks now. One time head wins over heart.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love that you're setting up a 'retirement coop'. I understand about folks who raise them for the purpose of getting eggs for a few years and then eating them when their egg production drops off. However, I feel that they work hard for years producing food for me so it's ok with me if they slack off to just a couple of eggs a week when they're older.
Of course, I practically run a retirement home for all kinds of critters. Old dogs, old cats, the horse turns 33 in a couple of weeks... LOL We're all just tottering around up on the hill.

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi Lesa, the plan right now is that they will be with the new chicks. After they are bigger I was hoping they could live with the 2 horses and the goat and get most of their food from free ranging. Of course these plans can and probably will change as nature dictates. Fortunately we have the space to be very flexible with their needs.

The retirement coop will house the 6 Easter Eggers we have and I would really like to re-home the 5 Adalusians and 3 Black Stars. I think we will put up a post at the feed store and see if anybody around here wants a really good deal on some "experienced" hens.:)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
heh, i like using that term for older hens! :lol: i feel so sorry when people think that after the first 18 months of the chicken's life they are dinner. not realizing that certain breeds will still produce, just at a slower rate and after you wait till they are done molting. i have been told that with my Faverolles you need to wait till after that 18 month molt to start breeding them because their color in the plumage has stabilized, and their egg size is at the largest size to help support chicks large enough to thrive well. sure, their egg production might not be like it was when they were younger. but i'm making sure i have healthy birds for future generations too.

what type of turkey poults are those? are they a broad breasted? if they are a heritage breed you should be able to keep some hens for eggs. if they are broad breasted you will need to limit their feed intake or they could end up with the leg and heart issues that plague them when they grow too quickly for their body to compensate. :/ not fun when they become so attached to you, and you to them. they can imprint on a person easily i found so don't be too surprised if they follow you around the yard like a dog. :lol:

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I know the males are going to get big quickly that's why I am hoping to keep them with the horses and goat so they have to work a bit for their food. We are expecting to have to butcher some and maybe all of them eventually, and I would much rather spend that time and effort on home raised turkeys than on much smaller chickens.

They will have a full fenced acre to free range so we'll see what happens. Having a hen or two to lay eggs would really be the icing on the cake though. ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They are so darn cute! I'm jealous!

I want turkeys now.... well, I've wanted turkeys plenty before, but no one around here sells them or I would grab them up. Broilers aren't even available around here yet. UGH!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
RidgebackRanch said:
The others will have a short vacation on the grill.
:lol: Be sure to rub them down with sunscreen so they don't burn! :gig Oh! And don't forget the sunglasses and the drink with the little umbrella in it! :lol: