Free Compost What Questions Should I Ask ?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Waste water... I take it this is "humanure" then? It does look very well finished. I'd think using it on an orchard couldn't hurt.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would ask to see the results of the testing and what the safe limits are for metals and such. Are there any restrictions on how it can be used? fresh raw veggies, landscaping use only, things like that.

Check it for smell, maybe when damp. That might help you determine how well it is finished.

As long as the metal content wasn't out of line it wouldn't bother me to use that in non-edible landscaping. I'd be happy to use that for nut or fruit trees though maybe not just before harvest. I'd want it to weather a bit before harvest.

In theory it is probably safe for veggies but I'd have reservations on that. I've used cow, horse, and chicken manure before in the garden but I always give them time to age. I'd treat that the same way, maybe put it in there in the fall for spring planting.

When I was in Korea the ground would freeze from November to March. When the thaw hit all that fresh human manure on the fields had a certain aroma for maybe two to three weeks, then it was mostly gone. That compost should be a lot safer than what they used, but the potential for heavy metals illegally dumped in the sewage lines would make me want to know how much of those are in it. That's why they test. Your DEC and EAP should have those limits.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Like Jouney and Ridge said, on orchards, lawns, don't think I would worry. Question-what are you getting that makes you want this? Trees are not large feeders.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The City of Austin sells Dillo Dirt, and it was maybe the first in the nation to market and sell composted sewerage sludge. I used it one year for my garden, but the next year decided to move it to the front yard for my flowers. The link has a list of what was found in it, probably not much different than what might be found in your area. Too many chemicals for me. I wonder if hormones and antibiotics are also transferring to it now.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like the East Coast version of Milorganite. I would use it freely on flowers and lawns. There should be no problem using it on orchard grasses either.

Heavy metals are a small problem with Milorganite. The info addresses that issue, but if the waste water is coming from a whole community there is the possibility of minor contamination. That is one reason I would not use it on my food garden.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You wouldn't want to use it on any lawn that you might dig up later and turn into a vegetable garden. Metals compound over time in the soil if I'm not mistaken.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn I am looking to improve drainage in heavy clay, not worried about feeding trees. Going to pass got a line on free cattle manure right in my town.

Latest posts