Free Compost What Questions Should I Ask ?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not legal if you read label.

Re read label, says you can use it on pasture for non lactating animals. there are much safer chemicals to use. It is designed to kill brush/trees under electric lines.

http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/torden22K.htm

1/2 life is 1 week under good conditions and 4 months under adverse conditions (spraying on in fall followed by winter or drought conditions). Once again, if found in grass hay, suspect person has used highly inappropriate rates. Definitely OFF label.

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have no problems with herbicides IF used correctly. I suspect they have used concept, that a little is good but a lot better.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been offered all the cow manure I want. I have a mesh trailer, how can I make it so it will hold manure but not add a lot of weight?

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Perhaps a tarp would be strong enough?

I try to buy my hay at the same place, which likely uses several suppliers, but during times of drought it is sometimes trucked in from other states. So it's a crap shoot. So far I have not had the problem and our manure is composted for at least six months before it is used.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have been offered all the cow manure I want. I have a mesh trailer, how can I make it so it will hold manure but not add a lot of weight?
Easy. Either ask the farmer for plastic 40-50 lb grain bags, or get together as many 50 lb dog food bags, OR find a horse owner and get them from that person. I always have a pile of them and they are my barn trash bags. You can fill them with manure, and then use duct tape to secure them closed. Then, pile them up and let the sun break the manure down further into compost.
A really big tarp with grommets would work, too, one that is large enough to to tie securely shut for the trip.
OR, in a pinch, buy large leaf bags and fill THEM and duct tape THEM shut for travel.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use two tarps when i haul debris in the truck. One in the bed that is large enough to go up the sides, and then another on top that I connect to the bottom one with the tie down hooks. The tie downs are criss crossed over the top tarp and cinched down tight. That makes dealing with the tarps easier when I'm done, the two smaller ones fold and handle much easier than one giant one.

Latest posts