Garden Dreams

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This evening we had home made chili, tomato sauce made from Homestead and San Marzano tomatoes grown in last summer's garden. I pulled 4 green onions, the first food grown on our new home place, and chopped them up to top the chili. Added fritos, shredded Cheddar, YUM!! Now for the first good thing to EAT--ALL of it! I finally have enough room to grow watermelon and I can't wait for the FIRST ONE!!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to say that anticipating that first tomato is the stuff dreams are made of. I love the smell of tomato plants.....such promise!
Last year digging my first successful crop of sweet potatoes was very satisfying. As a matter of fact, we had some for supper tonight. Picking the first of any crop gives a wonderful feeling.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is always that first giant red tomato that is the most celebrated in summer. However, in the earliest of spring when the chives come up I celebrate that first live garden plant addition to my hot potato salad.

Last edited:

frontiergirl53

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Or colecannon potatoes with chives and herbs from the garden and GLOBS of half-melted butter...
Or a pasta sauce with juicy Rutgers tomatoes in the middle of tomato season...
Or strawberry and rhubarb pie cooling on the windowsill...
OR blanched asparagus wrapped in a slice of ham with chopped parsley served with a hard-boiled egg from our chickens... :th:drool

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
this is what we are longing for this spring ...... well i am sure we all are
DSC_0001.JPG

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomatoes are up there, but with them it's not my first one. It's when the cherry tomato I plant near the gate consistently has ripe tomatoes I can snack on every time I walk by. Or is it when the plums get really dead ripe and I eat a couple of those in the morning when I go down to let the chickens out?

I think tops on my list would be fresh corn. How can you beat corn straight from the garden to the table?
Some of us have never had fresh corn from the garden, so have no idea how it tastes. :(

Mary

Latest posts