Garden fences~keeping chickens out

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep! But my garden is pretty big, so I was counting on those long, long bamboo poles to cover a lot of ground. The saplings I can get that are thin enough to weave,even while green, are about a third of the length of the bamboo and not all in one stand, but would have to be hunted down throughout the woods and removed by the twos and threes in that manner.

The bamboo could be cut all in one sitting, loaded in the back of the truck and then we'd be in business. It's one of those work smarter, not harder kinda prospects. ;)

Of course, if I were really going to work smarter, I'd just scrap the idea of weaving bamboo wattle altogether and go with a more simple and easily done fence~albeit not quite as attractive and rustic looking. Just trying to find the balance, as always. :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
And I just THINK my garden space is large....LOOK at the work that went into this fence!!!!

wealddown.jpg

And this one...

45%20wattle.jpg

Here's a vid of how to make the wattle panels, called hurdles. It would be hard for someone who didn't have the right setup, but it's still interesting to watch.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have cheated and covered up portions of my "ugly" fence with a willow fence that can be purchased at Home Depot. Last a couple of years- but not very sturdy. The other thing I do is plant all kinds of climbing things, so I don't have to look at my ugly fence. We rarely eat pole beans- but they do a great job decorating my fence!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
TOO much work splitting the wood! I wouldn't bother. I have a LOT of Tree of Paradise saplings that need removal this spring. I will be cutting them and using them whole for any woven fences. I figure that you have to start somewhere, so it might as well be with free materials. After all, after one season in the garden they can be pulled up and burned if I don't like them.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I've decided to build a fence incorporating deer netting at first as a stop gap for the chickens until I can work into the wattle, but it will have wooden fence posts and pine logs at the bottom to contain my wood chips in the garden. Then, as time goes along and I have free time, I think I'll start some twigs/wattle in interesting ways, while leaving that deer netting in place as a safeguard against the chickens.

It's just too good an opportunity to do something different. I definitely want to do some wattle for my smaller gate and the arch over it sooner than the rest of the fence, as I'd like to plant some vines there.

Latest posts