Garden fences~keeping chickens out

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like the way they've done that last pictured fence and a person could really do that piece by piece as they became available...just place them in interesting ways, intertwining them until it looks pleasing.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The deer netting sounds like a good plan. Then you can work as you get the materials and not feel pressured. The nice thing about the netting is that it doesn't stand out, it's almost invisible so it doesn't jar your eye.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree! Can't hardly even see it. That bamboo down the road looks like they've sprayed it with something to kill it, so the bamboo source is out...was hoping for the green, pliable canes but all they have are dead and old canes and they look very thin now, like those folks are trying to eradicate the bamboo now.

The deer netting will also work to keep out the local family of rabbits that Jake can't reach while in his boundary. Each night they come out and past the garden area around 2 am, so I'm hoping the deer netting will keep out their little furry paws as well. We haven't had a good cat around here for awhile, as the coyotes and foxes seem to like their flavor, but a good cat would take care of those rabbits for me if I had one.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got the first set of fence posts and measured my garden off this weekend. I chose an untreated, cedar stained post and really like the looks of them. I hope they look as good around the garden.

Supposed to get rain all week, so it's likely I'll not be able to get them into the ground this week but I'm hoping to get things started soon. Have had the flu and that's really slowed down my spring chore list....first time I've ever had flu in my life and have been surprised at how hard it hit me. Hate this stuff!

Hope to get my seedlings started this week...I'm a week late on getting those started, so I'm starting to feel pressured.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, ladies! I'll tell you true, this is the most sick I've ever been! Been a nurse for almost 20 yrs and never got this sick from it, no matter how much ick I've been exposed to. Never get a flu shot, never get the flu....'til now. Can't believe it! I must be getting OLD. :gig

But, I'm on the upswing now...finally got a few meds for it...I'm not one to doctor or do meds much at all unless it's OTC or something. I am still in sticker shock at the price of the "generic" meds I had to get. :th

You can bet I'm going to start working on my immune system again! All those years I had a good, healthy exposure to germs and these past 4 yrs I've been living back a holler, not mixing with the world much....it weakened me! :eek:

Anyhoo, I'm trying to get my boys to come out and help me put in my fence posts...we'll see how far I get with that. :rolleyes: If they won't, then there's only one of me and life goes on...I'll get 'er done if I have to drag myself here and there, peeing myself from the coughing all the while! :D

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope you get better each day beekissed. Rest is so important. Make sure you get plenty of it and go to bed early. Drink some nice hot tea on your breaks. The garden will wait contrary to what you may think.

I love looking at all my wood chips covering my beds. :)

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got an opinion, but will wait for the nurse to voice hers first since I wasn't asked.

Bye-the-bye, like there isn't an ex-teacher, there is no such thing as an ex-nurse unless the State throws you out. There are retired teachers and retired nurses. The skills that made them licensed, are still with them.

Latest posts