Gardening Intervention

hosspak

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I try to keep my diet simple. The continuing advice by nutritionists to eat more fruits and vegetables, I have taken that seriously. Gardening pushes me in a good direction.

I do have likes and dislikes. I like to grow summer squash but never cared much for eating it. I can remember the flavor of rutabagas - it prompts not the slightest interest in seeing them on my dinner plate.

I have plans to grow Russian kale this year. Whereas, other kales are in the same Brassica family as cabbage, Russian kale is a Brassica napus. It is a rutabaga! I like kale and I am looking forward to eating the leaves. I have no plans for eating the roots.

Steve

We grow Kale, Swiss Chard, and Spinach and sometimes throw in some tomatoes for our protein shakes. My wife is the veggie eater but I'm the green thumb. Remember, zucchini bread still has veggies!!!! She also wants eggplant and yellow squash that she grills on the BBQ with garlic and olive oil. This year we added sugar pumpkins for more bread and pies......still veggies lol.

hosspak

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
WAITING AND WAITING;

Sorry Easterners..... Don't be hatin!

I just can't start good herb plants...

Many tomatoes are laying in wait!

Squash, cukes, and Zukes have grown about an inch per day since I moved them outside, after last rain storms.

The only white stuff we see........ whispy clouds!!!!!

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Congratulations Hosspack:clap, I admit I'm a bit jealous. :barnie My seeds are barely poking out of their peat pots.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lots of healthy babies... good for you! :celebrate
I will be catching up in no time ... :lol:

The herbs that I have started from seed are very, very slow to get going.
What kind are you starting?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, my basils are agonizingly slow. I just direct seed cilantro in the garden, its somewhat of a self seeder too, since i'm not too tidy. Mine does okay like that, but i remember another member saying they've had challenges with cilantro.

hosspak

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Knockin the dust off the updates from the Crazy H-Bar Ranch and soon to be veggie jungle; After the coffee the energy came...Only to find that the tiller wasn't working, after taking the all the safety switches and trip buttons out and installing a simple toggle switch, she was up and running...We were finally able to get back to the garden today... First we laid down plenty of nitrogen because the test indicated that it was badly needed. Then we tilled everything in. The soil looks so much better this year than last year, just look how dark it is after the tilling. We had to put the Grandsons to work. (They will never say they are bored again! lol) After we leveled everything out, more fertilizer, a lot of water and the tarps laid back out, just for tonight. Tomorrow the drippers get set up.... So tomorrow we commence the planting...

After the work it was time to relax and spend time with family, friends, food and some awesome music in Fullerton!

hosspak

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Greetings and Tidings of Joy from the Crazy H-Bar Ranch; I always tell my children to plan the work, then work the plan. So after a little planning we got some plants in the ground today, we planted; zucchini bread, cucumbers, pickles, yellow squash, and sugar pumpkins, Armenian cucumbers. Oh boy are we gonna pay of it later.... I'm soo sore.

First I laid out the plants that were ready so as not to block any sun from the other plants.

Last we did 4 zucc bread plants..... I think 6 should be enough this year....

Pickles on the left and Cucumbers on the right...

This group might be a little ambitious; 4 pumpkins on the far left, 4 yel squash in the center, (I hate squash) and 4 Armenian cucumbers on the right. (Might thin these to 2 plant)

Latest posts