Gardening with Bearman

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup

That Gourd's blooming way early. Yup, pinch its flowers off until it's 18 inches long at least, but by golly, save its seeds to trade with a northerner. Bearman, I've gardened in barely zone 4 montana, good zone 8 valley northern california as a kid, and now so called zone 8 altitude north california. The northernern gardeners tough things out, grow quick season things, find tropical "looking" garden plants like Huechera Coral Bells, and Golden Leaved Spireas, and use every trick in the book to extend the season, and know when the season will start. Northerners do things like have the biggest south facing window in their house filled with early starts so they have a dense 2 foot tall full sized Tomato plant, (or a hundred of them fighting off whiteflies), to plant June 8th, with high stakes around them to cover with cloth in case it hails or something. The northern gardener may set a few out a week early, but will also save a few to take out June 25th, just in case it's one of those years. The northern gardener sees those big luscious varieties of sweet corn, but gets the Earlivee or the 8 row Golden Bantam. The northern gardener sees those big delicious Crenshaws, but gets the Noir Des Carmes or Minnesota Midget, or Serenade Hybrid, and is pleased as can be if they ripen bigger than a baseball. The northern gardener knows if they are going to plant grapes, it will be Valiant. Not the sweetest, but tastes extra delicious because they survived yet another year! The northern gardener is especially happy that Rose growing companies are working hard at making beautiful "bush" roses for zones 3 and 4! Almost like hybrid teas! And, they are especially happy that they are "own root" nowadays, so that if it freezes down to the root and leaves a bud or 2, it'll still grow. Northern gardeners, the smart ones, do not over nitrogen their things like apples or roses, but is proud of their thick slow growing stems.

Every place has its challenges. You deep southerners have plant diseases and nematodes, and have to make sure certain chill requirements are met.

Your garden is really great!

bearmanz400

Leafing Out
Reaction score
IMG00390-20120329-1823.jpg

I cannot believe I already have my first soy bean of the year...I almost want to steam it right now

bearmanz400

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Today I planted some Garden Beans and a few watermelon seeds...I took the day off tomorrow so I plan on doubling my garden plot
I will be going from the 8x20 to 16x20

Which this will cause me to need a fence or at least hedges to conceal the garden from any neighbors that could be offended by my little addition...of course if I have a fenceI will have more space to garden haha

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Doing great! I vote for more than doubling the size!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My you are hooked arent you, this hobby is so addictive... great pics...I have been hooked since I was about 4 when my dad gave me a couple of merrigold seeds and showed me how to plant them...:watering

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was about 4 when I broke a gourd that was used as a rattle. So My mother showed me how to plant the seeds and water them. We planted Strawberries too. When the gourds matured right before Kindergarten started, I picked them all, loaded them in my shirt, and put one in all the neighbor's mailboxes! That created kind of a controversy!

:gig

Latest posts