Getting Real Close to Buying Cow Prod.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too funny, Nyboy! Read title of thread and your URL with "Got it! Even had free shipping!" and wondered why you would really get that cattle prod.

Okay, use the Crossbow and get rid of that poison ivy in the woods. While PI feeds thousands of birds every year and migratory birds depend upon PI during their flights, you don't need it where it is.

Remember, don't even burn the dead PI plants when you clean up after the Crossbow. Not worth the risk.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Clean up????? I let it decay. In month don't even remember where it was.

@Nyboy this is concentrate so read instructions..... You paid for shipping in price paid. You didn't get held up though. At farm store, would cost you about $50/gallon which should kill a lot of PI.

@Smart Red migrating birds can eat something else or find it somewhere besides my place.... :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, birds eat a lot of Poison Ivy berries. They also keep reseeding Poison Ivy so it is in no danger of ever going extinct. Aren't those birds so nice!

In my opinion, let them find something else to eat.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
So my attempt at a guilt trip didn't work, huh? I was teasing (in part). Yes, the birds eat the berries and no, I don't want PI in my yard so I'm right there with Nyboy in getting rid of the awful stuff.

There are lots of other foods for the birds. I leave lots of options for feeding in my woods and yard. PI can become an endangered plant IMHO.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Clean up????? I let it decay. In month don't even remember where it was.

@Nyboy this is concentrate so read instructions..... You paid for shipping in price paid. You didn't get held up though. At farm store, would cost you about $50/gallon which should kill a lot of PI.

@Smart Red migrating birds can eat something else or find it somewhere besides my place.... :)
The PI that would not decay is those HUGE vines. After killing them they will hang out on threes and fences forever, Some vines are as thick as a mans wrist! Yes the short stuff that soft stemmed will disappear after a short time.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tarzan could swing off some of the PI vines at my place !!!
He would only do it once and he would learn. Wouldn't be enough calamine lotion in Africa.....

@Carol Dee you are correct but once dead, I don't care. I had them that bad, left them for scouting reasons-knew where to go to find new starts. For me, never ending job. Skip one year, they come back with vengeance.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We burn firewood and sometimes I see small, dead vines attached to the wood. I've not gotten it from burning wood in an enclosed woodstove, but then again, I am probably handling it with gloves most of the time when I feed the stove. I hear that you DO NOT want to make the mistake of burning poison ivy and risk breathing in the smoke. I am not nearly as allergic to it as my husband is, however I am also better at spotting and avoiding it. I was curious and tried to Google the half-life of urushiol, the oil in poison ivy. Took a lot of digging, but I did eventually find one source that stated that the oil can persist for as many as 5 years.

Probably best to continue avoiding that big vine as you have been (after killing it, of course). I don't think I'd even try to remove it. The oil could still be on the tree itself, although probably less potent than it would be in a living vine. I figure the bark would sponge up most of it.

Latest posts