Giving Up

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
After Gardening for more than 40 years the only way I'd give up is if they chained me to a wheel chair...Some years we have no rain others too much... but that first bite of tomato that you so lovingly started at the kitchen table 3 months ago is worth all the work and worry, broken nails, and sore muscles... QUIT !!! NEVER!!!!

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
After Gardening for more than 40 years the only way I'd give up is if they chained me to a wheel chair...Some years we have no rain others too much... but that first bite of tomato that you so lovingly started at the kitchen table 3 months ago is worth all the work and worry, broken nails, and sore muscles... QUIT !!! NEVER!!!!
AHMEN!:bow

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
SuperChemicalGirl said:
digitS' said:
digitS' said:
ETA: Here is hoping that there is no damage, Super'.
Steve
Thanks. Some leaves got shredded but lets face it, my garden wasn't exactly taking off with the weather we've had. This nail in the coffin probably isn't the last!

Appreciate your thoughts for my poor garden!
It's still early in the season you would be surprised at how plants can come back from hail damage. We get more here than most places in the world! It's not over have faith. :hugs

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let's see :/:

chains, or
garden
chains, or
garden
chains, or
garden

I suppose decisions like this would come easier for people that live in a "Live Free or Die" state . . . .

As for my border fence-sitting location: I've got Washington's Al-ki, which means, "I'll think about it . . ."

And, Idaho's Esto perpetua, which means "Stevo's on the hamster wheel."

I think I'll come down on the side of . . .

garden.

digitS'

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"live free or die" state...YEAH, that definitely sounds like Montana! And dont tell me what i can and cant grow in my garden!! :D

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thats ok I'll be the crazy old coot out there in my garden plugging away. Might take me all day to get 1 tomato transplanted but at that age, what else do I have to do with my time? Thats how I look at it. Just means Ill have to get started sooner but then thats what greenhouses are for right? ;)

luvsdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hottest, driest garden I remember for 30+ years! Tonight at 10:15 it was still 100 degrees and wind howling! We've been in triple digits near 110 for 2 weeks... If we didn't have our little well, it would never work...and it's only half working now...garden is wind-whipped and leaves curling. Have planted beans 4 times and something keeps "stealing" into the fenced garden at night and getting them. Watermelons and cantaloupes look okay; blackeyed peas okay...squash, tomatoes, cukes are looking like they won't make it...Quit? Nah........Not yet!!:tools

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ex-screamly hot in Athens, GA lately! Highs in the 90's/lows in mid 60's for the past month.

I wonder if that has anything to do with limited development of tomato leaves at this early stage . . .

Hangin', I also see that you may have thunderstorms today with a danger of lightening strikes and "pea to nickle sized hail!" Run for cover!!

Oh wait . . . that's only a 20% chance. Still, the radar map looks scary!

Steve, alarmist
Just so that you know, we got struck by lightening. It hit one t-post in our family garden and took out our electricity and then my sons trampoline fell from the sky in several pieces. I don't know if the wind caught it or that's where the lightening grounded out. The trampoline ended up a tangled mess with the swing set. It definitely got crazy around my house. I just happened to be looking out my kitchen window when all of this took place.

Glad to report tomatoes are looking better. I gave them a little compost tea this weekend.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, hangin!!! That was more excitement than you needed! Hard to believe your tomatoes are looking better, after that!

Latest posts