grapes needing help

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The last owners put a ton of money into a grape arbor. But its been neglected for years now. They still have fruit but not more the a pound i would say. Its over grown with weeds and really needs pruning. It has wooden posts and two or three wires that the grapes grow on and they grow over the top as well. Its shaped like a box and they can grow on three sides. You pick the top fruit from below. I believe they are concord grapes. Im wondering if i clean it all up and prune them will they get more fruit and could i plant some more kinds on on it. and have them grow up and over or do they have to grow just to the side. I wish id had a pic but that would mean walking through snow drifts up to my knees. Or could i put raspberry and blackberries on it as well? Im planing for next year. I can add more wire to it as well.
I found a pic that is like mine only mine has the wire strands that go from side to side. Its at least 6 foot tall and 10 foot long.

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4405949/grapearbor1-main_Full.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is pretty! I've been after my dh for a couple years now to build me a pergola to grow grapes on.... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't put blackberries and raspberries anywhere near it, if it were me, because they can really take over. They need full sun too and will be easier to manage in separate rows.

Grapes won't bear well unless they're regularly pruned. Check your local library or on online for "Successful Berry Growing" by Gene Lodgson. It's an older book, but it is my berry growing manual. There is a whole chapter on grapes and it explains very nicely how to prune them and how to rejuvenate an overgrown grape vine.

It also covers blackberries and raspberries, and every other berry you can think of!

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
That is pretty! I've been after my dh for a couple years now to build me a pergola to grow grapes on.... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't put blackberries and raspberries anywhere near it, if it were me, because they can really take over. They need full sun too and will be easier to manage in separate rows.

Grapes won't bear well unless they're regularly pruned. Check your local library or on online for "Successful Berry Growing" by Gene Lodgson. It's an older book, but it is my berry growing manual. There is a whole chapter on grapes and it explains very nicely how to prune them and how to rejuvenate an overgrown grape vine.

It also covers blackberries and raspberries, and every other berry you can think of!
Thanks for the book suggestion, Journey! Sometimes those older books have the best info.....

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I wish i could move it. They put in the dumbest place. If we do get goat we have to fence it off somehow because they put it in the middle of the pasture.:/

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just started grapes myself and the booklet that came with it says that they need to be pruned heavily every year.
It says to not be afraid of pruning it back alot each year because it will come back in full force.

I am copying the directions from teh pamphlet that came with my vines, it may or may not be of help to you.
```````````````````````````
In late winter from the third year on your grapevine should be pruned severly.
By now you should have 4 "arms" and on each of those you select a good pencil size stem as the fruiting cane, trimming it back to keep about 8-10 buds.
Near the base of each of these fruiting canes, leave a stubby stem with 2 buds to form next year's fruiting canes.
All others are pruned away.
Keep doing this each year to maintain your vine in the very best bearing condition.
This pruning system may seem drastic, but it really works.
It seems that if your vines are that overgrown you will have to really cut it all back to revive it.

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
I would just cut it down and buy a new one.

JMHO

Joe
If i did cut them down. How long would it take for a new one to bear fruit?

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
simple life said:
I just started grapes myself and the booklet that came with it says that they need to be pruned heavily every year.
It says to not be afraid of pruning it back alot each year because it will come back in full force.

I am copying the directions from teh pamphlet that came with my vines, it may or may not be of help to you.
In late winter from the third year on your grapevine should be pruned severly.
By now you should have 4 "arms" and on each of those you select a good pencil size stem as the fruiting cane, trimming it back to keep about 8-10 buds.
Near the base of each of these fruiting canes, leave a stubby stem with 2 buds to form next year's fruiting canes.
All others are pruned away.
Keep doing this each year to maintain your vine in the very best bearing condition.
This pruning system may seem drastic, but it really works.
It seems that if your vines are that overgrown you will have to really cut it all back to revive it.
Thanks! What kind of grapes did you get?

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't think the poster that said to cut them down and start over was being honest in his answer.
You can cut them back and they will do well. If the vines appear healthy you don't have anything to worry about, grapes are vigorous growers.
I have the reliance (red), concord (blue) and marquis (white/green) varieties.
New plantings take one season to get going and the following year they are established enough to lightly harvest.
After that they should be completley established, just make sure to cut them back every year so the new canes will grow.
The weeds can all be removed, that isn't the issue with the grape vines themselves, once those are gone and you prune the vines back it should be fine.

edited to add, you could plant some new vines to grow along with the old if you think these cannot be salvaged, as the new ones grow in then you could remove the older vine a little at a time.
If the older vine does well and the arbor is big and sturdy enough for both then you shouldn't have a problem.

Latest posts