Hardening off crisis

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
jhook1997 said:
vfem said:
You can make little covers of row cover, or baskets. I direct plant most of those plants by seed this time of year.
So your broc. Cauli. Brussel, cabbage plants are outside in the garden now??? Or are you saying that you seed them outdoors now?
Actually, I direct sowed mine into the ground by seed beginning of the month. I covered with straw just to protect from frosts until they got hardy enough on their own.

I'm not sure what part of zone 7 you are though. I'm zone 7b, and we're really south on that border. This is also the coldest weather we've had in a long time, so I'm surprised all my greens are still doing great and not bothered by the weather at all. I just lost a few radish when we got down to 20 degrees at night last week. I should have added more straw that night but forgot.

I have out pak choy, cauliflower, peas, several types of lettuce, carrots, radish, kale, cabbage.... ect
Yep, might have to try the direct seed approach next year. I'm already burnt out on carrying in and out! Killed some lettuce the other night....store bought and def. NOT hardened off! My own direct seede lettuce, radish, peas, are all doing great! BTW I am on the NC/VA state line. Make a triangle from Stuart, VA to Pilot Mtn. to Mt. Airy and I'm right in the middle.

I'm seriously looking forward to next season already because we have a 14x16 greenhouse abut halfway built.:woot

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I start my seeds in my grow chamber out in the barn. I use two 4-lamp fixtures which gives me room for 8 flats. When I pot up, the seedlings go into the hoop house. If it's going to get cold, below 40, I'll throw a heat lamp in there just to help a little. I also have a large tarp that I drag over the top if the sun is really strong. The open ends face east/west, so you are looking at the S/W corner. I drag the tarp up only about halfway and secure it with bulldog clips. The north side is still open so light gets in. Building this is super easy. I drive rebar in at 2' spacings, 10' to 12' apart, leaving about 12" exposed. Then, take 2-10' sections of PVC electrical conduit connected together and slide each end over the conduit. Cover it with plastic secured with bulldog clips and that's it. I cut plastic for the ends which can quickly be raised or lowered as needed. I use the 6 mil plastic from Lowes. It's not UV rated, but the hoop house is only up for a few weeks or so. I have used the same plastic for several years.

greenhouse.jpg

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everyone is going outside today! It's cool - but not so chilly that I need a coat to work in the back yard. It's supposed to get up in the 60's by afternoon so I'm moving everything out to the covered back porch. Lets hope I don't kill them all......

(who knew this garden stuff would be so complicated????)

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Nice hoop house Monty! I'm jealous of the simplicity of it. I am able to use only whatever materials hubby brings home from is work as a construction mgr. I will have a wood, glass, block greenhouse when we are done....mostly free. But it will not be ready for this years hardening off.:(

8794_image.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
jhook, you are going to have a fantastic greenhouse. I can see me using a place like that on a cold but sunny winter's day to drink my tea and read. Make sure you have a comfy chair out there. I'll come help you. :D

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would happily trade my simple hoop house for your awesome greenhouse ;) A greenhouse is on my list of things to build, but it never seems to get to the top :/ Yours is going to be huge! I am green!

Latest posts