Has extreme weather affected your garden this year?

How has the weather affected your garden this year?

• Drought

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Excessive rain/flooding

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Heat wave

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Unusually cool summer

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Damaging storms/wind/hail

• Unusually late or early frost/freeze

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • About average weather for your area/no problems

• Total voters

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking at the weather map, it appears many of us are dealing with some real weather challenges in the garden this year. I thought I'd poll to see what percentage of our members have been affected. Choose all that apply and elaborate below. Do you expect to get a good harvest anyway?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to decide between too much rain and delayed planting/weeding. Went with delay.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Too much rain in these parts Journey... and looks like rain again on the 4th too..... but hope it changes, it's still early. My daughter has 2 parades that day :( I hope it doesn't rain.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
While we've had enough rain and then some, there has been no flooding and our drainage is good. Mosquitoes are the biggest problem with the weather so far and I can deal with them. Temperatures are said to be a bit below normal, but near 80 (F) almost every day isn't too cool in my book and I suspect the upper 80/90s will be returning in due time.

We did have cool weather and overly dry weather this spring, putting everything behind in planting and growing, but that's changed so I expect a pretty good harvest, Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good idea for a poll.

Drought conditions may effect the gardens if there is lots of smoke in the air but, this year anyway, the aquifer should provide irrigation. There is no relying on summer rainfall here in a normal growing season.

I'll explain just a little in other threads some of the effects of the record June heat. Right now, I would point at a pea harvest that dang near amounted to nothing! And, my broccoli which continues to kick out a few buds on plants that are no more than 16" high!

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to decide between too much rain and delayed planting/weeding. Went with delay.

This is where I am too. Clay needs a couple of days to dry out to be workable and I've had maybe 4 decent planting days this month. I can't manage to get a whole day long in the garden with all of my other responsibilities, so it usually takes me several days of a couple hours each to get everything in. Seems like most of those decent days, I had to be somewhere and couldn't get out of it.

Tomatoes are all finally in--but not staked. The first round of those are all splayed out on the ground because I didn't make staking them a priority since I was still trying to get them all planted. The others still have hope if I can stake them sometime this week.

I have had to toss out several things I've grown or bought because they perished while sitting in their flats waiting their turn to be planted, especially flowers which are low on the priority list. Peppers haven't gone pot-bound yet so there is still time for them. Glad I potted up in bigger pots with Miracle Gro. My ag extension garden calendar says I can plant late tomatoes and peppers around June 30th. Definitely late. Usually I have everything mostly planted by Memorial Day. Next year I'm starting early! I'd rather have to cover things than sit here frustrated like this.

I am fiddling with a Julian date calendar, trying to see what I still have time for within approximately 112 days til first frost. Most of my beans are going to be too late to get much dry seed from, definitely pressing it for many of them, but I still have time to at least try the snap beans and take notes on them while I enjoy eating them. I planted Russ's beans and some other special beans I had in peat pots. They'll have to go in the raised bed probably this week.

I have tilled 3 times to knock the weeds back (since most of the garden was bare anyway). I know that's bad for compacting the soil, but I can't allow all this grass and stuff to go to seed. :\

Latest posts