Has extreme weather affected your garden this year?

How has the weather affected your garden this year?

• Drought

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Excessive rain/flooding

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Heat wave

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Unusually cool summer

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Damaging storms/wind/hail

• Unusually late or early frost/freeze

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • About average weather for your area/no problems

• Total voters

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
While we've had enough rain and then some, there has been no flooding and our drainage is good. Mosquitoes are the biggest problem with the weather so far and I can deal with them. Temperatures are said to be a bit below normal, but near 80 (F) almost every day isn't too cool in my book and I suspect the upper 80/90s will be returning in due time.

We did have cool weather and overly dry weather this spring, putting everything behind in planting and growing, but that's changed so I expect a pretty good harvest, Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise.
Same here @Smart Red , then we went on vacation. Oops WEEDS took over.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After too much rain in May, then late frosts right after I put in most of the garden, it was starting to look pretty good, then last night... it was our turn for the smashing hail :eek:

I have not been out to totally access the damage but the tomatoes and peppers are still standing, hope the carrots will stand back up, might have lost some apples.
No shredded hosta but the impatiens took a real beating.

Pea to marble size ...

IMG_1674.JPG
"psst, I never liked those impatiens anyway" ....:D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That dip in the jet stream has been sending us one severe storm right after another. We had an EF0 tornado touch down 20 miles from here outside of my hometown on Friday. Reports were of golf-ball sized hail, flash flooding and one building had pine needles driven into the vinyl siding. We drove out on Sunday to see all the trees down everywhere after the roads were cleared. It ran through a rural area, sparsely populated thankfully. Firewood will be plentiful this fall! At my place, it only amounted to driving winds and a downpour. I don't know how much rain we got in that hour, but I had a river in my backyard running right toward the basement. We had to keep brushing the drain with a shop broom to keep it going down and out of the basement. (DH always makes fun of me for heading to the basement. :rolleyes:) When I went out to look at the garden, it was all lying flat to the south, but has mostly stood itself back up over the past couple of days.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
we had a cooler spring than normal and dryer, it went from a spring day to 90's in a snap of a finger. but otherwise the gardens have been producing nicely.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just heard this evening that despite all the days and weeks of rain here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin, we ended the month of June .001 of an inch below 'normal'. That means we are behind for the year, 'cuz April and May were dusty. Good working weather is predicted all the way until Monday, the 6th.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was surprised weather.gov only listed Friday's rainfall at 0.91". I heard anywhere from 3-5" in some people's rain gauges. We've had 8.34" for June, almost twice our average. I don't think that counted today's downpour either.