Hedge Apples & Products?

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was reading that the oil of the Hedge Apple fruit really helps repel insects. I wonder whether it would work on earwigs, and does anyone know of any good cleaning products containing it that I could buy locally, without having to send off an order?

l

CountryGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Garden,

I don't know of any manufactured products that contains hedge apple. I know of individuals that will put hedge apple fruit in dishes on window sills or in cupboards. I have many hedge apple trees on my property but I don't use them for anything except the wood for burning in the winter. It's great firewood. Burns slow and hot. As a footnote, the american indians used the wood for bows.:idunno

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Have you ever seen hedge apples for sale at Farmer's Markets in your area? I wonder whether Osage Orange grows here in dry Utah? I doubt it.

CountryGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Garden,

I've heard the hedge apple or Osage Orange was originally from Texas. It's hot and dry there so maybe they do grow in Utah. Check with you county ag dept.

Nope. I googled it and according to eHow it doesn't grow in Utah. Sorry:(

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its native area was Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas but it has been naturalized in many other states. Wickipedia has a good article on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maclura_pomifera
Apparently it has very good insect repellant properties, actually superior to DEET for repelling mosquitos and other pest insects.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good find there, Hoodat! That was exactly what I was looking for. Yippee. I found out they do grow here in Utah and are water-wise to boot. I really want to plant one.

Do you know what those puff balls are called that were in the fields that one stepped on and they sent up a puffy looking cloud? For a long time I had them mixed up with osage orange. Were they a fungus or something? We had them in Northeastern Missouri fields and forests. Not really common, but once in a while you'd step on one, and pooofff! I don't remember which time of year they sent up their puffs?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
GardenGeisha said:
Good find there, Hoodat! That was exactly what I was looking for. Yippee. I found out they do grow here in Utah and are water-wise to boot. I really want to plant one.

Do you know what those puff balls are called that were in the fields that one stepped on and they sent up a puffy looking cloud? For a long time I had them mixed up with osage orange. Were they a fungus or something? We had them in Northeastern Missouri fields and forests. Not really common, but once in a while you'd step on one, and pooofff! I don't remember which time of year they sent up their puffs?
gardengeisha YES those Puff Balls are called Puff Balls and are a fungus, the smoke you see is a cloud of spores they release when stepped on.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, Carol. Do you know what fungus they are? I'd like to look them up on Wikipedia?

Latest posts