Hello from Minnesota!

Pinusresinosa

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind welcome! The front part of our property is where the chickens have full range of, along with the sides and such. The only part that we fenced off was the back where our veggie gardens and play areas are- but I've opened the fence and let the birds in there too and they're helping sort of clean up the garden now that it's totally expired. We had our first really really hard freeze last night finally... so now I can feel good about getting some real chores done out there!

Love the fence ideas. Right now we have chicken wire fences of sorts. Thankfully because my chickens are spoiled otherwise and have lots of room to roam, 2 foot high fences are enough to keep them out of anywhere, so long as there isn't gaps at the bottom or any other easy access. The main back play area as mentioned has a 4 foot high fence though. They don't really jump much unless they HAVE to regardless- just too much other things to do.

I'm thinking of landscaping out front slowly over the years to look more like a rock/Japanese-ish landscape of sorts. I love how it looks and I think I can make that work. No succulent delicious hostas or anything like that for my chickens to dine on! Just evergreens and shrubs and stones and whatnot. Maybe some tough grasses.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Pinusresinosa! Glad you joined us. Can't wait to see pictures of your garden and space. I can't imagine living in an area where the winters are so cold! Heck, I'm always cold over here even in the summer.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just joined today... so great to be a part of another wonderful gardening community. I hail from BYC (Backyard Chickens) as I have a flock of my own snobs. Still trying to find a way to have a decent looking landscape and free rangers. But *shrug*- ah well.
-Anna
Welcome, welcome, welcome, @Pinusresinosa! Like many of us, I also started as a BYC member who found this great site while BYC was "down for repairs". My flock are free-rangers, but I have more than the usual acreage so I'm better able to keep them out of the way.

You are going to love this site! The best people, the best discussions, the best tips and advice. You seem to be doing just great settling into the flow. Just remember, we love pictures! So get your camera ready and share your gardening/chicken world right here.