Hello from North East Pa.

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am Barb and live in Pa in the country. I am 66 years old. I keep 2.5 acres, have 2 veggie gardens, flower gardens that wonder and wind all around the property. I have gobs of chickens, I sell their eggs each week, and a beautiful greenhouse. I also have a wonderful hubby. He is to die for....Not in the pretty dept but in the good man dept. That's what is important....

I also have an interest in canning and preserving foods and being self sustaining and independent. I am not a full fledged prepper....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from northeast Texas! So happy to have you here! Please just jump on in and join the conversations, we're a nice bunch of folks and are delighted when we get a new member! What kind of chickens do you have? Post pictures! Lots of pictures! We love pictures!

You mentioned on another thread that you were laid up this year. Hope you are ok now and back in the swing of things!

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just po at my join anniversary of one year. I have not come here much for I have been busy with other things.

Thanks for the warm and friendly welcome.

I have been layed up with a broken elbow and ankle. I was stepping over the trailor hitch and tripped. My leg landed on the hitch and then I sat on my leg. I put my foot right next to my leg bone. I also separated the 2 bones in my leg so they said I had a zillion stitches to hold it together. I also am the proud owner of a plate and 8 screws.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
How-dee, Barb, from south-est, central-est Wisconsin. I have two years and a few acres more on you, but it sounds as if we're gonna get along just super.

I don't know how many chickens are 'gobs of chickens', but I have too many. Nine seniors, 16 pullets and one roo from last year, 12 (now 10) surprise hatchlings from early June and 4 tiny fuzzy little things still pretty attached to mom.

Last week I did garner the name of an Amish lady who butchers chickens. I really hate to go into winter with that many chickens...too much feed and too many eggs in too small a winter space. Right now the larger part of my flocks are in the garden shed and I WANT MY SHED BACK!

Of course, I would need freezer space. . . . .

Wonderful hubbies of the Good Man variety are relatively rare in this day and age. I call them "Keepers" and I had the very best (for me) until 5 weeks ago. It's been a tough stretch to manage and a work in progress.

I look forward to learning about you, from you, and with you as we play in the dirt together (though miles apart). Good to have you growing with us.

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL Smart Red, Do I have chickens......probably 200 at last count. I will be dropping it down to 150 as soon as the last batch start laying. They are all banded so I can tell the ages. I actually have a little business with them. I text or call 60 people, my customers, and they place an egg order every Wednesday. Starting at 7:30 Thursday morning I pack the eggs up and hand deliver them to each customer finishing at 3 in the afternoon. They are nest run brown. I wash them and sell them for $3.00. They are not officially organic but they are as close to ""back to nature as you can get. Their coop gets cleaned out every other week. All the junk gets taken over the the farm down the street and they spread it on their cornfields. In turn I get 1 choice piece of meat off their cow once a year plus a large amount of bones to make bone broth that I can. I also let the "mother" farmer, she is over 80, have all the eggs she would like all year. She gets them for free because I have a few older people that have given to our little society all these years and I like to give back to them while they are in fixed income. That will be forever. I had been giving eggs a wonderful flower gardener who had beautiful large rocks wandering all around his property. He has passed away now. That was my thanks for letting us enjoy his beautiful gardens for all these years......

20151009_080648.jpg

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"I also am the proud owner of a plate and 8 screws" me too, although I may have you beat I have two plates and 8 screws. 3 longer screws on one side and 5 shorter ones on the other. I slipped and fell on an icy step and same as you, sat down on my ankle. I hope you fare as well as I did, all these years later still not a twinge of pain, maybe I should touch wood :).
I broke mine back in the 80's, today it's as good as new or even better then it was before I broke it. It's my other ankle that gives me trouble:(. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

That's quite a flock of chickens you've got there says she who at one time had 3 Cornish game and a couple of mongrel banties, nothing beats fresh home grown eggs:drool.

Annette