Hello from North East Pa.

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Annette, Very cool to share aches and pains with a fellow gardener. I have to get "unscrewed" in 1 month as the lower one on the outside is undoing. They will leave the 2 in on the inside and all the others on the outside except the one that is coming out. They said it may break off if they don't do it.

We have many pheasants and ducks here too.

spice shelves1.jpg

Silver pheasant male

20130508_153419.jpg
Silver Pheasant male in protection mode....

20130508_153520.jpg

Red Golden Pheasant male

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I will keep an eye out for them. Going to a swap meet this weekend. I have woodies...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, @waretrop ! :frow Here's wishing you a full and speedy recovery from your injuries.:hugs We'll surely enjoy your company here while you have the downtime though. Sounds like you have many interesting things and knowledge to share.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Beautiful birds I would love to get East indie ducks but can not find a breeder.

We had those, we hatched 3 eggs under a banty hen, we ended up with a drake and 2 hens. East Indian aren't very big but they sure are pretty. We gave them a little red tub to swim around in when they were small. Their poor banty mom just about had a heart attack when they jumped in, she just circled the tub clucking and flapping her wings.
We gave the same banty some peking duck eggs to hatch, only one hatched,it was down right hilarious watching her trying to get under her banty mom at night. We had to change the name from Sam to Samantha when she laid an egg.
Samantha had a kiddie's wading pool to paddle in, she'd follow me up the yard hose in hand and wait until her pool was filled then dive in and motor around, 3 laps and the pool was empty and I'd have to fill it again. The kids named this particular banty Henny Penny, she would go broody the minute you showed her an egg :).

We lost them all one night when a mink got into their pen:(. The banties were in a separate pen, we keep those until they died of old age but never hatched out any more eggs.

Annette

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those dang mink.....I also lost $700 worth of pheasants and ducks in 2 nights. until that night I had a kind heart with wild animals..When we found all those dead bodies the second morning I said to the hubby, OK honey, you go get the gun and shoot whatever is killing our animals. I lost it....so he put 1 leg trap out and we got that mink the next morning....he was going to help himself for the third night.

We can keep those bigger critters out but those little things just squeeze through cracks. I should run the electric fence like about 3 inches from the bottom of the chain link fence.:somad

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I go down to just outside of Phili often. As a treat we go to the reading terminal market. We bring home all kinds of goodies. That's where I bought my long beans that I grew this year.

beans.jpg

Latest posts