Hello from the UK!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, Bex! :frow We'll look forward to hearing more about gardening in your part of the world. :) It's a diverse and friendly group here. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frowHow-dee! :frowGlad to have you growing with us here at TheEasyGardener. This is a great place for questions, advice, tips, and friends and we :loveLOVE :love new friends from everywhere and anywhere in the world.:welcome

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Bex! Welcome! :frow

It sounds like you have a good plan going. We love to hear about each others garden experiences where ever they call home.

Bex

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow, thanks everyone. It really is great to find such a friendly and enthusiastic board :) . I've no garden to speak of at the moment but as soon as I get to France I'll be jumping in with both feet! I'm just hoping my fingers aren't quite as far from green as I suspect and I don't kill off everything I try to grow!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome! Its a good idea to gather information and ideas now, because i'm guessing once you get to france things are going to be really busy - with chicken, ducks, gardens, etc on the list! Sounds fun though!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bex, ditto what ninnymary said. :love Start small and gradually increase your gardens and animal groups as you develop your skills and knowledge. Trying to do everything at once sounds like a pretty clear scenario for disaster.

It is better to learn that you can keep a dozen chickens healthy and to production stage :celebrate before you purchase 100 birds and find you can only manage to keep a dozen healthy.:rant If you do your research -- here and in other places -- you will be more confident and have a better start, but funding a large operation that's too big to handle is not the way I would approach this endeavor.

:hugs Whatever you do, know that we are here to help in any way we can. :hugs

Reactions: Bex

Bex

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
@ninnymary That's a good question! It comes down to when our property sells. So it could be next week or next year! The sooner the better though as we're really keen to get started. I'm still learning the language but it's coming along nicely so as soon as we have the money from the sale we're ready to jump in :D

Bex

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
@Smart Red 100 birds !:eek: Not sure I'll manage that many all at once even when fully self sufficient! I've got my research head well and truly on these days. All my computer time is devoted to smallholding plans, I've even got the OH (who is severely allergic to technology :rolleyes:) on youtube binges about self sufficient living!
I'm generally good with all things animal, and I'm a fast learner. It's the green stuff that I'm worried about failing at, so I'm very happy I've got you all here for help. Thanks guys! :thumbsup

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
100 birds was my first experience with chickens. Got almost all rooster leghorns that would otherwise have been trashed. They were all processed at 16-18 weeks. About the same size that KFC chickens get. Six mistakes were made so I ended up with half a dozen layers that I really enjoyed.

Reactions: Bex