Helping Boxer Rescue UP Date Good News

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
had to take my pup to the ER vet last night. i never noticed the past couple days if he had this lump on his lower jaw but i noticed since Sunday night that he was drooling when he was snacking on the chicken feed when we were out with the chickens. last night, again working with the chickens, i noticed he was acting a little sluggish so i crouched down with him & then i noticed it. got him in the house & he was slooooowly eating his dinner & refused to lick the remains of the yogurt from DH's cup. rushed the dog down to Portsmouth ER Vet to take a look at him & was told they did an ultrasound but couldn't do a dental x-ray since they didn't have machine! :ththey gave us antibiotic & said it was probably an abscessed tooth but would need to follow up with a vet that had the right device. cost just over $100 last night.

called my regular vet that last time i had a cat's teeth done it was about $300-they don't have the device. called another more state of the art vet & they have the device, now waiting to get the dog in but sounds like the pooch will need to stay the whole day for the whole assessment & possible surgery. this won't be cheap :hit

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
ER vet hospitals around here are uber-expensive. $400 to walk in the door, then they charge to treat the dog. I took Cee Cee in once (weekend and late at night, of course) when she got into BFF1's rat poison that was supposed to be out of dog reach since her dog got into it. Sigh! NOT CHEAP!

Today Cee Cee went for what I think might be a sinus infection? Treating that option with antibiotics first. Other options include something stuck in her nose, polyps, or even nasal cancer. So far, using my own vet, it hasn't been all that costly. If we have to go to x-rays and such, who knows.

I'm waiting for her (getting old) to have tooth problems, but her teeth have always been clean and tarter free so it may not be a problem.

Spouse, on the other hand, broke a molar and needs the tooth pulled. People vets are much more expensive than pet vets (er, dentists) so I'm expecting the worst. Dental surgeon charges between $200 and $800 for a tooth depending upon how difficult it is to extract. This one's going to be difficult.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, could the dentist sedate your husband? (as in anesthesia) Is that something you would be comfortable with?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Regarding vet meds, does your vet get a little aggravated when you order on line from Pet Meds.com? Cause they contact the vet for the Rx, right?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, could the dentist sedate your husband? (as in anesthesia) Is that something you would be comfortable with?
It will be numbed. Sedating is probably not going to happen. I'm not afraid he'll not understand what's happening. The extraction should go well if not easily. My worry is that he will play with the empty space and get a dry socket. More pain!

For someone who doesn't remember or understand some things that possibility scares me. Telling him to keep his tongue away is like telling someone not to think of an elephant. See, you just did.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie did I read right Vet around you don't have Xray machines ? :th
:eek: :th Even my mobile large animal Vet. that always made ranch calls daily carried a portable x-ray macnine as well as an ultrasound mahine with a screen to see what an injury, pregnancy check, uterine condition, etc. might be is working blind. :he I would find another Vet. :caf

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie did I read right Vet around you don't have Xray machines ? :th
not sure why the ER vet couldn't have done an x-ray of the jaw with a normal x-ray & the dog on his side. i'm sure Ein would have been good for her. but the doc said they didn't have a 'dental' x-ray machine. :hu not sure the difference unless it is more like the one used at a dentists office. i am able to get him up to a vet that has one but he is going to have to wait till Monday. they said he would need to be sedated to do this & if possible they could do the surgery that day. if it is more serious they may need him to come back for the actual surgery. i'll know more on Monday once the get some x-rays.

when i was working at the Equine Clinic, while i was a student in animal science classes, i remember they had a farriers convention & that's when i got to see a mobile x-ray machine-just looks like a large camera & a thick plate for the film to be placed on & put behind/under the part that needed the pic of. that was over 20 years ago for me but it seems some of the tech has changed-lighter cameras & now it is digital so much quicker results with no chemicals involved!

never thought to call the mobile vet to see if she could have come any quicker & have the machine. not sure if she could have done the surgery if he needs it.

Latest posts