Hi from Montana!

Suzee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My goodness, it's so beautiful! 🥰 I don't know much about the climate of Montana, do you have a short growing season?

Nice giant garlic!
Here in the Helena area ( Jefferson City) we don’t plant starts until June 1st, and the season lasts through September With frosts about half way through the month. As I write, my garden is pretty much cleared out except for cabbage. Garlic is one thing I love to grow. I have worked hard to fine tune a system that has worked very well. Again, I have gathered much of my know-how from others!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hello fellow gardeners. I am excited about exchanging gardening ideas with other folks! I’ve been gardening for the last 50 years, and although I have learned a lot, I am by far not “the master”. Every year and every new location poses challenges and learning opportunities. I moved to the Helena area 2 years ago from NW Montana, and have been on a pretty steep learning curve! I’m hoping this site will be my cozy space to learn from others, as I am not on social media.
Welcome to the forum Suzee from the Pacific Northwest!

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Southern WA state. Decades ago, with my first husband, we took a trip on his motorcycle (actually all our vac were on the bike). We drove into Montana somewhere and I literally gasped.

Big Sky Montana was sure true! It was amazing!! Especially on a bike with no roof to block the scenery.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful country! What are those blue flowers?
We just had a drought and 100 plus degrees for two months. Still in rain deficit, but I’ve gotten rain twice in 2 weeks. I raise Katahdin hair sheep, just moved a year ago and don’t have a dedicated garden spot yet. Got to plant early here to make a garden before the heat hits!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Suzee,

I understand that you had some snow to shovel this morning there in Helena.

We are having another of our snow sprinkles right now. Fortunately, it wasn't preceded by rain because it is supposed to be well below freezing soon and we have lots of folks who will be having trouble with the first slick roads of the season 🚗 🚛 🛻 ...

Steve