How are those Tomatoes?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even in south-est, central-est Wisconsin, it is still Wisconsin. I'd think that you couldn't be off on your planting, Linn. If you are, I will never mention it again . . .

You know, GwR, Journey brings up an interesting idea with those Gold Nuggets (I know she was looking right at 'em when she last posted). They are really, really early -- and, they are determinates. In my garden, they were very quickly history, done for, kaput. However, I bet you could darn near start them as seed in the garden they are so quick! Just an idea for filling in space as it comes available if something like greens come out like the last week of June, next year. Not sown as seed but set out as 6 week old plants.

I have always thought of any of my tomatoes as "late crop" but Gold Nuggets might actually play that part :).

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Even in south-est, central-est Wisconsin, it is still Wisconsin. I'd think that you couldn't be off on your planting, Linn. If you are, I will never mention it again . . .

You know, GwR, Journey brings up an interesting idea with those Gold Nuggets (I know she was looking right at 'em when she last posted). They are really, really early -- and, they are determinates. In my garden, they were very quickly history, done for, kaput. However, I bet you could darn near start them as seed in the garden they are so quick! Just an idea for filling in space as it comes available if something like greens come out like the last week of June, next year. Not sown as seed but set out as 6 week old plants.

I have always thought of any of my tomatoes as "late crop" but Gold Nuggets might actually play that part :).

Steve
I am going to try it next year. I did knock my tomato list way back to mostly early tomatoes. I have the 1 brandywine that is 90 days. I am going to give them the taste test and if I like them then I am not going to plant the big tomatoes that take 80 to 90 days, or at least as many as I did before.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wonder if they are talking about a 2nd planting of determinates?

Ive got Early Girls (dang things) I think I'm up to 20 of them. Bought a couple to replace some I thought were frost damaged but they've bounced back so I'm up a couple plants.

Early Pinks (might be pink dang things not sure yet) but I'm working on phasing those things out. This year I wasn't even sure I'd have a garden so I stuck with what I knew works in the past. Too much going on to really get crazy. Bought a 2nd one so I had a bit bigger sample pool to decide what I think of them.

1 Black Krim because the flavor is just too good not to grow them. But don't need a bunch since these are just for eating not canning anything.

1 Black Cherry (curious to try them maybe save seeds? I have no idea if they are true or not) since I love my black maters

1 Super Sweet 100 another stand by. Again going with the old faithful since its a hectic year.

Most folks here in Michigan plant on Memorial Day weekend so your not that far off. They'll catch up without issue and you'll be fine.

Not like Wisconsin's far from Michigan.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Although all my seeds were started on the same day, the greenhouse tomatoes are at least three times as large as the plants in the garden. These plants are developing their fourth truss, and all have pretty good size green fruit forming on the lower trusses. I have cut back on nitrogen and increased phosphorus and potassium to encourage fruit vs. leaves. My theory is: you can't eat leaves; and we will see how this goes. The cucumbers are doing fantastic and are starting to flower. I could not decide between telegraph and little leaf for the greenhouse, so I have both. As they are both greenhouse varieties I do not expect cross pollination, and I rarely see a bug in the greenhouse. Our weather has been cooler than normal, which may account for the difference between the garden plants and greenhouse plants, however, there is something to be said for protected growing, as I have the same varieties in both locations. Oh, and the green box attached to the support is a time lapse camera. I am trying to capture the cucumbers climbing the trellis across from the tomatoes.

Jack B

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks jackb for making me drool over the thought of your early tomatoes. I just bought some more heirlooms from my favorite local farm. I feel like I have 'sucker' written on my forehead when I see plants for sale! I just couldn't resist picking up 5 more types of tomatoes and 5 more types of peppers, some kale and a few herbs. :rolleyes: most already have flowers coming on them vs the ones I started from seed in the house. I only need to keep 2 of each tomato variety so I will repot the rest I got and sell or rehome the others with friends and family.

Anyone else growing pink elephants this year? Just curious if they are determinant and if they are a beefsteak or oxheart type in shape. They are sold through Bakers Creek so there isn't a good description of them for me to get a good idea of their traits.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our tomatoes have been in the ground for about 3 weeks and are growing like crazy. All look super healthy except one, whose leaves are a funky color and curled in on themselves. Haven't been able to identify the problem yet. Several of our plants have little tomatoes set on them. Can't wait until we start seeing some red.

We aren't growing anything too special - just looking for a good crop:
Early Girl
Celebrity
Big Beef
and something else that I can't remember the name of

For cherry toms we have Sweet 100's (I think)???

My gosh, I am really brain-dead today. Guess I should go look at the plant tags when I get home!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That variety Skeeter can't think of.

I'm pretty sure that it is one called "Pink Elephant."

Do you suppose that Jack photoshops those greenhouse pictures? He seems to be just a little too camera skilled. Notice that the plants are nearly identical and have copyright marks?

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
jackB- How do the greenhouse tomatoes taste compared to the outdoor?
I grew them several winters, using varieties recommended for greenhouse growing. Though it was fun to have a few tomatoes I think I got about 2 dozen. They were not as good as fresh grown outdoors. They were not worth all the trouble considering the time but I loved doing it anyway for the fun of it. I only stopped because I got a white fly infestation that was too hard to control and jeopardized my spring seedlings.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
That variety Skeeter can't think of.

I'm pretty sure that it is one called "Pink Elephant."

Do you suppose that Jack photoshops those greenhouse pictures? He seems to be just a little too camera skilled. Notice that the plants are nearly identical and have copyright marks?

Steve
Steve,
You are welcome to drop by and check it out. Try this link: http://zvsj.easyn.hk

The user name is guest and so is the password. I will leave the link active for a day or so. The camera is on 24/7, so anytime will be fine. I hope it works as no one has ever tried it that I know of.

Jack

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you sharing the link Jack that's really cool to view. I saw some movement of a few leaves near the bottom right portion of the viewing window so it proved to me it was live. Colors were washed out but all in all technology is pretty cool.

I'm really curious to see the cucumber video once its all done.

I always wanted to do one with pumpkins in the garden. Go from direct seeding through the pumpkin maturing and ripening and end with the sun going down, pumpkin carved and lit up. All on time lapse. I think it would make a cool video too.

Anyway please let us know now the cuke video turns out.

Latest posts