How long can I keep carrots in the garden?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to mulch mine with straw, won't be pulling them out for awhile yet. I should be able to pull some Christmas dinner this year. :D Like you, I'm zone 7b in NC.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Chickie2378 said:
I am NC and my carrots never did well. No matter how soft and nice I made my soil...they never took off for me.
Are you doing anything special in SC to get those carrots? just wondering.
Carrots are heavy users of calcium. Try adding lime.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can also make the soil surface too soft for carrot seed - if that makes any sense :p.

The seed takes forever to sprout, unlike something like lettuce with also needs to stay in the top 1/4 inch or so of the seed bed. During those 2 or 3 weeks, lots can happen to the carrot seed and then, the seedling. If the soil dries too much, the seedling may die.

After the soil is deeply prepared for your carrot and the seed is sown - it may make sense to tamp the surface down a bit with a board. You can even leave the board in place IF you can remember to check under it regularly to see if the seeds have germinated so you can get that board off them!

Some folks walk on their seed bed but with my #13's and 200#, that's 2 feet too far for me :rolleyes:.

Steve

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted carrots last year and they did become carrots, but not very big. I attributed that to the drought and heat even though I kept them watered. Suggestions?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The ideal "window" for me to sow carrot seed is usually about the 3rd week of April. The weather is often a bit rainy in May and the shallow-sown carrot seed benefit from the consistent moisture and somewhat warm ground.

I often put a thermometer down in the soil and check that beginning about the 1st of April. It won't read 45F!

Take a look at days to germination for carrots: University of Minnesota (click)

If those seeds are delayed for 6 weeks - they aren't likely to make it. My guess is that your soil won't warm up for good germination until well into the new year. You can get them out early but I'd pick a time much closer to the date of your last frost.

Steve

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
The ideal "window" for me to sow carrot seed is usually about the 3rd week of April. The weather is often a bit rainy in May and the shallow-sown carrot seed benefit from the consistent moisture and somewhat warm ground.

I often put a thermometer down in the soil and check that beginning about the 1st of April. It won't read 45F!

Take a look at days to germination for carrots: University of Minnesota (click)

If those seeds are delayed for 6 weeks - they aren't likely to make it. My guess is that your soil won't warm up for good germination until well into the new year. You can get them out early but I'd pick a time much closer to the date of your last frost.

Steve
Thanks for the quick response1!! I will and first chance in the spring I will plant!!! :throw