How warm for carrots to sprout?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My carrots would definitely be planted if those were my temps... As long as your soil is ready to work and not too soggy- I would go for it!

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ariel301 said:
Really, your tomatoes do fine with temperatures in the upper 30s? That usually killed them when I lived in Colorado.

We have a real problem here with the weather changing dramatically and suddenly. Two weeks ago it was 15 degrees, and then literally overnight it became springtime weather. It does the same with summer, it will be 60 degrees day/50 night and then the next day it will be 90/80, and then suddenly somewhere in December it freezes out of nowhere. Makes it really hard to predict when to plant things!
Oh, no, usually the tomatoes go out in mid may with an occasional low 40's at night, but mostly mid 40's at night.

I meant that the tomatoes would be long planted before the day/night temps were 60/50F, since our average summer night is only in the mid 50's. I guess one year I planted in early may and the starts ended up with hail damage, but they did end up surviving. When I start hardening the starts off a month before they go out, they do sit in their little cups on a balcony all night provided temps stay above 38 or so.

I tend to tempt fate when planting b/c season is short and cool. Think two or three seasons ago I planted cool season stuff mid march, to have 4 inches of snow chill them mid april, they all survived being cool season stuff.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Going by what Stokes seed has listed you are looking for a soil of around 60F.
Here's a quote from Stokes.
Stokes Seeds said:
Carrot seed requires 6 - 14 days @ a minimum soil temp. of 60F/16C
Chris

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So, I planted them. We were supposed to have a couple of days of rain, so I planted right before, thinking it would be perfect, rain is the best watering system for new seeds!

And....it didn't rain. It snowed. :rolleyes:

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow

I think Steve is right when he said
"That shallow sowing is why it is so important to keep the soil evenly moist for the carrot seed. I bet carrots most often fail because of the moisture problems. And in the spring, it does take those seeds forever!!!

I always figger it is going to take 3 weeks before the carrot seedlings show up. . . "

Last year I sowed some carrot seed in a large tub, I then put a piece of scrap row cover (we call it fleece over here in the UK) directly on top of soil. I watered each & everyday through the fleece & the seeds germinated very fast & as they grew they pushed up this fleece. As it lets the light through I didn't have to remove it as you have to with newspaper. I kept the fleece over it most of the summer to keep the carrot fly away.....I have lovely carrots now. I shall do many more tubs this year so I can stagger my harvest.

Previous to this I had never, ever, grown carrots successfully. It was great to be able to crack the problem. :ya

Hattie

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Interesting, Hattie. Your row covers must be different from what most people here use, I've only seen solid plastic sheets as row covers. I bet something like your fleece would help my other problem too, which is the birds eating all the seed before it sprouts, they just tear through bird netting and eat everything.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ariel301 said:
Interesting, Hattie. Your row covers must be different from what most people here use, I've only seen solid plastic sheets as row covers. I bet something like your fleece would help my other problem too, which is the birds eating all the seed before it sprouts, they just tear through bird netting and eat everything.

Hi Ariel,

Yes it certainly works well against the birds, even my own chickens are kept away. One of my big enemies here are pigeons......they pick out the centre tender shoots of any cabbage or like vegetable. I drape the fleece over hoops on all my veg while young for this reason. The material is semi-opaque & looks very like the kind of material one uses for interlining when dressmaking. Here is a UK link with info on the fabric. It comes in different weights & widths. I usually buy a 50metre roll of the the widest as that works out cheapest over a couple of years.

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/...Ground+Cover+and+Mulching+Fabrics/GDN-030.htm

I think you can buy it over in the US as I mentioned it on TEG last year & someone found a site that sold it.

Good luck :)

Hattie

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
Ariel301 said:

Hi Ariel,

Yes it certainly works well against the birds, even my own chickens are kept away. One of my big enemies here are pigeons......they pick out the centre tender shoots of any cabbage or like vegetable. I drape the fleece over hoops on all my veg while young for this reason. The material is semi-opaque & looks very like the kind of material one uses for interlining when dressmaking. Here is a UK link with info on the fabric. It comes in different weights & widths. I usually buy a 50metre roll of the the widest as that works out cheapest over a couple of years.

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/...Ground+Cover+and+Mulching+Fabrics/GDN-030.htm

I think you can buy it over in the US as I mentioned it on TEG last year & someone found a site that sold it.
Good luck :)

Hattie
We have it here in the U.S. we call it a floating row cover and it works great for a lot of uses in the garden.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-461-agribon-row-covers.aspx
http://www.burpee.com/gardening-supplies/garden-growers/floating-row-cover-prod001213.html
http://www.stokeseeds.com/product.aspx?ProductID=48005

Chris

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I feel like I have waited FOREVER for my carrots to sprout but I told myself to just be patient. "Don't give up on them yet." I told myself.

I got home yesterday and saw the tiniest little sprouts I've ever seen, but sure enough - they're carrots.

Yay!!! Finally!

Then I went to write it in my garden journal and they've only been in the ground 17 days. lol Not even three weeks.

The day God was handing out patience, I grew impatient and got out of line.

Latest posts