I am so upset

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this. It sounds like the situation was very mishandled. I am lucky to work in a school with excellent administrators. Any child sent to the office will get calls to both parents from both teachers and administrators, and often from the child his/herself right away. How could administration not already know Gypsy's tendency to be contrary and take this into account? We have 550 students and the principal knows all of them.

My concern would be in teaching Gypsy that sometimes being contrary or sarcastic will get her into big trouble. If the police ask her if she killed someone will she sarcastically say yes? She needs to know the danger of such conversations, even about drugs. What if someone asks her if her parents use drugs? If she says yes, they could be hauled away.

Just recently, a first grade boy had to be removed from my classroom (he has some issues and was throwing a tantrum) and he missed the first half of a fun painting project. He spent hours with staff, going through what went wrong, but insisted that I would let him do the first part of the project the next week. When children are absent, I complete the first part of a simple project for them, so they are ready to move on with the rest of us. The staff knew this, so they asked him to practice saying, "that's okay", if I told him he could not go back to the first half of the project. It took an hour before he accepted it was okay, but he did, and the next week he was happy to complete the project.

My point here is, it make take a lot of role-play at home, to teach Gypsy how to deal with certain situations (since apparently no one is doing this at school). I am not suggesting she change to fit someone else's mold, but at a certain point her own safety may become at risk. She needs to know what situations might put her in danger, and practice responding (or not responding) in a way that will keep her out of trouble.
Of course, I don't even know this child, so take anything I say with a grain of salt!

Latest posts