I could build that!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
. . . As it is, I'm really planning on building an out-house. I think it would be an interesting yard addition and a great place to store the tools.

Love, Smart Red
I once built an outhouse.

I think I'd better not say more than that.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a picture from the book that I mentioned to Nitty' on her "wish I could build that" thread:

4989_dsc00643.jpg

That book is 40 years old this year and that was about the time I picked it up at the library. I looked at this photograph and went "Shoooot . . ." :p

Some of those trees behind the little house may well be cedar. The authors do not identify the location but it sure looks like some places around here. The house looks like it just kind of "sprung up" in a little bracken clearing. A pile of fire wood . . . of course, that is one of the big problems with making something with so many shingles or shakes. It is kind of a pile of firewood :/.

Steve
Oh, it has a cute Dutch door on it and some of the interiors of these houses were just real homey :).

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I keep thinking I should know how to build things since I've watched hubby build many things through the years - but somehow I can't get the basic framing figured out.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I had to guess, the corners are likely the problem, BJ.

I always have to pause and figure out the arrangement of studs. There is sheathing on both sides of the wall that have to find something to attach to.

After that, I bet these guys were pretty flexible in the spacing of the studs. Especially, if you aren't using 4' by 8' pieces of plywood & you've got barn boards, or one of my favorites - fence boards. You might need to toss in an extra stud now and then. Once that wall is finished, no one will ever see all that crippled studwork, anyway ;).

Steve

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The book is 40 years old? Well that explains why I haven't found it yet, but I'm going to keep on looking.

I love these whimsical houses that are all odd angles and strange constructions. One of these days, if ever I get time to try, I'm going to see if I can build something like that in dog-house size, just to see if I can.

Thanks for sharing the picture.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My pleasure, Nitty'!

It was fun looking at something I saw and remembered from so long ago. I had to get the book from Inter Library Loan. My email notice said "ILL Handmade Houses."

I didn't know they'd been sick!

The theme of the book - handmade houses are best. What an idea! Well, it was during the back-to-the-land movement during that recession. What did they say . . ? One place was down a 60 mile gravel road and then 2 miles beyond the end of that! I'm not sure if building codes would allow anything like these now but . . . maybe!

;) Steve

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
baymule said:
That is cute. I don't think I could build that. If I did, it would be all crooked and wonky looking. My coop is supposed to be 8'x7', but it came out more like 7'1"x 8'4"x 6'11"x 8'1". The good news is, the chickens don't mind and so far, nobody has measured it. :lol:
Ah finally, someone I can share "construction" tips with. We share a skill set. :cool:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about a bar in a Water Tank??

NYTimes, The Night Heron (link)

Notice the little arrows as you move your cursor around. There are 10 pictures of the tour. Crazy! (Especially the location of the bass & accordion players! They'd better not have anything to drink!)

Steve :p

Latest posts