I Got Tomatillos!

ccheek

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm always excited to add new things to my garden. My friend surprised with these today! She's pretty awesome! They were on the verge of root bound though, so hopefully they do okay.
2016-04-27 19.38.44.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I could have written that!

I have Purple and Toma Verde ... the seed wasn't expensive. I had an idea they were little plants ... kinda went with having Red Robin tomatoes, this year.

No! They are growing like crazy! Now, I know ... sorta.

Maybe I have had them in a restaurant salsa ..? I don't know!

Steve

ccheek

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have a Mexican restaurant nearby that makes a tomatillo sauce that I could have for an entire meal! You can also make salsa. I'm sure there's much more, that hopefully I can experiment with after these babies produce!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are they a green variety, CCheek?

I was told that the purple isn't the most commonly preferred.

Of course, my purple tomatillos are miles ahead of the green.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I experimented with growing them one year, myself -- well two or three years if you take the next years' volunteers into account. I took all of my tomatillos to my tenants and to the local food bank. It think I thought they were ground cherries.

ccheek

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are they a green variety, CCheek?
Yes, Sir. I haven't seen any purple. Of course, I'm pretty new to Tomatillos unless they are already cooked into my food. I hoping to learn to do a lot more with them. We eat Mexican/Tex-Mex food A LOT (my husband has a lot of Mexican in his family, good food and great family just comes with the territory :D), so it shouldn't be hard to find a place for them. After all, I've always heard them referred to as Mexican tomatoes.

ccheek

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew a row of them once. They are super productive, I could have supplied three counties with the ones in my garden.
Good to hear, I love having enough to give to my neighbors. They put up with a lot between my kids, my chickens, my dog, and now rabbits, lol.:celebrate