I HATE Tucson!!! Sad day at Glenn Cottage...

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Two weeks ago, I had a City Official come to my house and say they had a "complaint" about my coop, (not any of my neighbors, who LOVE the chickens and the eggs they get). Our city doesn't enforce "codes" about chickens unless they get a complaint.

Well, I not only had to find new homes for my six hens, I had to tear down my coop!! According to City Codes, no stucture for "fowl" can be less than 50 feet from the residence of your neighbors. My lot is only 50' wide!!!

I have been so sad!! Many of you know about my cute little coop I built with my own two hands.

Here area my links on BYC.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/glenn-cottage-eggery

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coop-construction

Now here is what the area looks like...

Which looks better email.JPG

Which looks better edit 02 email.JPG

I am no longer able to post on BYC, probably because we have Windows XP and few places are still supporting that system. So if anyone would like to share my plight with BYC I would so appreciate it.

Then to top it off our beloved Spartacus
5 21 05 Happy Face 02 email.jpg

was diagnosed with Osteocarcoma in his right back leg the same week I had to get rid of my "girls" To say we are sad is an understatement!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh I am so sorry! Your poor dog! Extra hugs for him. :hugs Your coop was so cute, we were all envious of your coop-de-talents! That really really stinks. I am so sorry for this ridiculous enforcement of some ambiguous "complaint" from some unknown person. :hugs

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh rebbetzin!! I'm so sorry ! Whaat a terrible thing to have happen.
Were you able to find good homes for your girls?
Is there treatment for your dog?
sLo_comfort.gif

... that one's not enough...
Here a BIG HUG
sHa_grouphug2.gif

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh rebbetzin!! I'm so sorry ! Whaat a terrible thing to have happen.
Were you able to find good homes for your girls?
Is there treatment for your dog?
View attachment 4387

... that one's not enough...
Here a BIG HUG
View attachment 4388

Yes, we have a private school with a farm and garden that I was able to give the girls a nice new home, less than 5 min. away! And they have a rooster now!!

And amputation is the only real "fix" But he is 10 years old, and that is getting up there in age for his breed. We are just doing pain management.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's terrible. What was the complaint about? Noise, smell, ? Do you have any idea who would do that? I wonder if that person had seen how cute your coop was.

Do I understand you correctly in that you can have chickens so long as someone doesn't complain? What if the complaint was unproven or minor? Are there any prior warnings? Are you ever allowed to have chickens again? This is just so sad.

Living in the city, I worry about things like this. We can have 6 chickens and the coop has to be 20' away from any neighbor's dwelling. I don't know what would happen if someone complained about the noise. Mine occasionally get pretty noisy. I would always say it's better than my neighbor's 2 darn barking dogs! One neighbor once mentioned that he could smell the coop. I told him I kept it pretty well cleaned but that I would work even harder on that. I don't know how he can smell anything since he's stays inside his house all the time.

Mary

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh my word. What a terrible double whammy. I'm so sorry to hear about Spartacus. I know he's an integral part of your family, and how hard it must have been to make a decision about his care. For what its worth (and really no one's opinion should matter but your own...) i feel like I would have made the same decision given his age and diagnosis as you did - manage his discomfort and enjoy your time with him.

As far as your chickies, that is utterly ridiculous. That coop was adorable, and every picture you've shared with us shows a beautiful tidy yard and coop. So sad you had to get rid of it all. :(

freedhardwoods

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dog. I've lost a couple to cancer also, years ago.

The laws everywhere are getting completely ridiculous. People in general used to be nice and laws were for criminals. Now, people are selfish and have no common sense (or just plain stupid). Government keeps passing laws to try to make up for the selfish and senseless, but it's decent people like you that get hurt by it.

If I said what I think of cowards like your "complainer", I'd get in trouble.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is SO sad, I'm sorry about your dog. He is lucky to have such a caring family. :hugs

Tuscon needs to get with the times. Their restrictions are tougher than Minneapolis, where the limit is 20', as well as most cities around here that have been pushed for less restrictive ordinances for fowl in residential areas.
Sorry you had to give up your chickens. :(

Latest posts