I HATE Tucson!!! Sad day at Glenn Cottage...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Rebbetzin, I am terribly sorry to hear what you've been through this week. :( Our pets truly become like family, sometimes better than family in some cases. I hate that you were forced to give up your chickens. That's good that those school children will get to enjoy them and give them lots of attention though, some comfort there.

I sympathize with your pain over your dog's diagnosis. My 13-year-old pitbull is living with hemangioma sarcoma, aggressive skin cancer that has metastisized. And I lost my chow mix at 13 also to a brain tumor that made itself known quite suddenly. You hear of so many cases of cancer in dogs and cats now. I have to suspect what may be causing it and wonder if it has to do with GMO corn in their food. They really shouldn't have corn anyhow. My dog's health otherwise improved dramatically after switching her to a brown rice and lamb formula. I really wish I had done it sooner. I figure I would have taken the same route in treatment as you have. It's harder on them at an older age to have surgery. After two surgeries on my dog, we decided not to put her under again when the cancer returned for the third time. I hope it will take a slow course and that the pain management will give you plenty more good times to spend with your dear pup. :hugs

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good grief! I am so sorry to hear all this bad news...There is a part of me, that wants to move far, far away from everyone. Humans behavior can be so discouraging.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your pets. How very sad! As far as the dog goes: Have you considered turmeric to help treat him? It's supposed to do wonders for dogs with cancer. :) I have not yet tried it myself as all of my dogs are quite healthy, but I have heard of good results through my work.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugs@rebbetzin, I am so sad to hear of your chickens and even more so about your dog. :hugsOur pets hold a special place in our hearts.

Why ever did you take down that lovely coop? Couldn't you have renamed it a play house or storage shed and left it until you could try chickens again? So many cities are changing their chicken rules every day.:hugs

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
rebbetzin, how discouraging and sad these past few days have been for you! I am so sorry about your friend Spartacus. I think you have chosen the right path to take with him. Hopefully you will have some good days with him yet.
As for the city and your chickens--how could anybody object to a few chickens? I bet it was just the neighborhood troublemaker. Do you think you will be able to get eggs from the school who has them now? Maybe you could go out there and clean their coop occasionally, and take home those precious droppings.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sad.

I'm sorry @rebbetzin . Others have said whatever can be said.

I just want you to know that many of us have experienced the illness of a pet and we are here for you.

Steve :hugs

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:hugs@rebbetzin, I am so sad to hear of your chickens and even more so about your dog. :hugsOur pets hold a special place in our hearts.

Why ever did you take down that lovely coop? Couldn't you have renamed it a play house or storage shed and left it until you could try chickens again? So many cities are changing their chicken rules every day.:hugs

That is one of the most aggrevating things!! Right now the coded are in the process of being changed!! We took down the coop very carefully so it can be put back up hopefully when we are no longer "outlaws" for having chickens!! The coop was not really big enough to be much of a storage shed, or a playhouse. I am still mad! It was a cute feature in the backyard, even if there were no chickens! I could have gotten some "lawn chickens" to put in there and just pretend! But... for every day we are in "non compliance" with city codes, they can charge us $100.00 a day!!! So, since my husband has not had a job since Dec. of 2012, we opted not to fight it.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Rebbetzin, I am terribly sorry to hear what you've been through this week. :( Our pets truly become like family, sometimes better than family in some cases. I hate that you were forced to give up your chickens. That's good that those school children will get to enjoy them and give them lots of attention though, some comfort there.

I sympathize with your pain over your dog's diagnosis. My 13-year-old pitbull is living with hemangioma sarcoma, aggressive skin cancer that has metastisized. And I lost my chow mix at 13 also to a brain tumor that made itself known quite suddenly. You hear of so many cases of cancer in dogs and cats now. I have to suspect what may be causing it and wonder if it has to do with GMO corn in their food. They really shouldn't have corn anyhow. My dog's health otherwise improved dramatically after switching her to a brown rice and lamb formula. I really wish I had done it sooner. I figure I would have taken the same route in treatment as you have. It's harder on them at an older age to have surgery. After two surgeries on my dog, we decided not to put her under again when the cancer returned for the third time. I hope it will take a slow course and that the pain management will give you plenty more good times to spend with your dear pup. :hugs
We had just as many cases proportionally in numbers of cancer in dogs and cats as before GMO's came along, ( look up the records at the University Vet. School records ) we just never heard about it prior to the internet facebook or even here. The blame game is from those that just don't like big business and start spreading their blame game mantra. Too, years ago the Cities and Counties used to put down the strays after a period of time, then the bleeding hearts and the no kill shelter people came along and now are out to "rescue" every stray dog or cat out there no matter what , then pass the bill onto the volunteer caretaker and / or adopter. We had a 96 year old friend who was a Veterinarian that passed on 2 years ago. He said that he was surprised that for the last 30 years or so , so many people are opting for cancer treatment or surgery of their pets while before people just put the animals down to save their pet from further suffering and moved on. :hu

Latest posts