I have fennel, now what?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I picked up a bronze fennel plant at the nursery the other day, just because. I planted it in an herb pot with my golden oregano
( wintered over ) , along with an orange thyme.

Do any of you have any tips on using it? I just thought it was so pretty. But I'd like to use it too.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
I picked up a bronze fennel plant at the nursery the other day, just because. I planted it in an herb pot with my golden oregano
( wintered over ) , along with an orange thyme.

Do any of you have any tips on using it? I just thought it was so pretty. But I'd like to use it too.
All I know is that it is closely related to dill and they will cross pollinate. Then you get either dilly fennel or fennely dill. I don't like fennel (or anything that tasted like licorice) so I don't have any planted. Good luck!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm always tempted by that herb, too! I just goggled it to see what I could find. Used interchangeably, with dill. Also the host plant to a couple different Swallowtail butterflies. I'd say it is worth having just for that reason! Let us know if you come up with any great recipe ideas....

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Roasted fennel bulb is really good! cut in chunks, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake till tender.

Bake it with sausage. Throw it in with Ratatouille. Munch the fronds to freshen breath. Have small children try fronds in the garden--they love its licorice flavor. Sprinkle it atop salads (fronds). Cut bulbs chifinade style (in ribbons) and fry with summer veggies, onions, garlic and Italian spices....

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got a bronze fennel too. Thought my old seeds would not sprout, gave up on them, got the bronze fennel plant, put it in there, and then, over a dozen of the old seeds sprouted with it! :woot Weehaw!

Ok, here's what I find myself using fennel for most:

Pick a nice juicy leaf from the stem, stick the stem in your mouth, the feathery leaves out.

Oh yea! Kinda chew on it, just enjoy!

Let it get all seedy/weedy, but harvest the seeds. Fennel seed is the secret for making Italian Sausage from regular sausage. Fennel seed is also the secret ingredient in some Pizzas and lasagnes...

The leaves also taste good chewing the stems.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think there are two different kids of fennel--one you grow for the bulb (Finnochio), and one you grow for the leaves and seeds. One grows really tall. I just tried to read up on them and got confused. I'm pretty sure the kind I got are the seed/leaf variety, and that it grows tall, and that it is a perennial.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
Yeah, I had read that about dill and fennel crossing too Mama, I'm not growing dill so it won't be a problem this year. It's rated to zone 5 but I'll be surprised if I see it next year. Except for the seedlings which I heard can be prolific.

Those cooking ideas sound delicious April, I'd love to try it roasted, but I may let it go to seed this year and grow more next year for cooking. I love the flavor of fennel, I will certainly be snacking!

Aaaannnd it will be awesome if the butterflies find it!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle', I've grown both bulb and sweet fennel.

I really like the flavor of licorice but just couldn't bring myself to eat a vegetable cooked or in a salad with that flavor. It had no appeal to me. I shoulda, coulda, woulda - if I had any sense :rolleyes:.

The sweet fennel grew and bloomed. I wanted to try the leaves for tea - blech! But, then I've had fennel seeds in various things so I waited, anticipating seeds. The plants didn't have time.

They survived a winter and now, I left the leaves alone and watched it begin to flower. The bees went crazy over it! But once again - frost destroyed the flowers before they matured seeds :hu.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fennel stems are great for chewing on. A whole lot better than a piece of hay. Actually, like candy.

Latest posts