I LOVE my Bleeding Hearts

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think you guys have the perfect climate or soil for them. I can't seem to grow Columbine, Bleeding Hearts or Lily of the Valley. If I can't even get a plant in a 4" pot to grow, I sure can't imagine anything self seeding. :( So jealous...

Mary
Mary I am jealous of your outdoor citrus , especially your meyer lemon

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary , do you plant columbine where they get too much light? Honestly, I have columbine probably dropped seeds from some bird, and it's spreading where I haven't done anything to amend the soil, so they don't like great soil, BUT, they won't grow for me where they get too much light everyday.
I planted them in full sun.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your bleeding hearts, Carol, are ahead of mine for sure. Only one tiny fern leafed plant is getting enough color to call it flowering. I am still waiting to see which bleeding heart spouse missed last fall when he was "weeding" roots out. I'm hoping it is Valentine -- a more red version of the pink bleeding heart. I suspect I'll have to go begging daughter-in-law for another (this will be number 4) white bleeding heart to replace the one I think spouse took out.

Last fall I purchased 20 or so new hosta varieties for a shady space I want to plant beside the woodshop. I put them in the ground temperarily for the winter. This spring I showed spouse where the tiny baby plants were beginning to pop out. The next day, spouse was raking and dug at least four of the hosta out with the leaves. There were also four labels on the ground, but I don't know if they were with the hosta that came out or with others that escaped the rake. Sigh.

At least I did find the tiny roots and replanted them. I've been trying to keep an eye on spouse since he did say something about "digging the tree roots" out of the hosta nursery. That and I've got to get the new bed ready asap so they are (relatively) safe from spouse's over eager endeavors.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you for your offer, thistle, but I know I can get another root from my son and his wife. Close to home and cheaper even than free when postage is added in.

'Sides, it's a nice idea to make D-I-L feel important and needed from time to time. She knows how much I love my garden and understands the problems with spouse. Begging was a hyperbole. "Ask and it shall be given unto" me.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you for your offer, thistle, but I know I can get another root from my son and his wife. Close to home and cheaper even than free when postage is added in.

'Sides, it's a nice idea to make D-I-L feel important and needed from time to time. She knows how much I love my garden and understands the problems with spouse. Begging was a hyperbole. "Ask and it shall be given unto" me.