I LOVE my Bleeding Hearts

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Why did I see? I went to the store and bought myself too. Is not it handsome?
give_heart2.gif
ff%20(7).gif

IMG_0212.JPG

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, I have some new bleeding hearts in the butterfly garden. Those have to be yours as they weren't there last spring. You also sent some sort of lily, right? The plants are popping up and I'm living in fear that spouse will hoe them out before they are big enough to look like they belong where I put them.

If I tell him what they are, that actually brings the plants into his line of vision. When he forgets what I said about them all he remembers is that I mentioned them so he helps me by digging them out. It's happened over and over so now I just try to watch them more carefully and pray a lot.

The hostas he dug out were ones I'd recently pointed out to him as keepers. I really need to get their forever home prepared for them. Then he can dig all the roots from under the eaves that he wants.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, I have some new bleeding hearts in the butterfly garden. Those have to be yours as they weren't there last spring. You also sent some sort of lily, right? The plants are popping up and I'm living in fear that spouse will hoe them out before they are big enough to look like they belong where I put them.

If I tell him what they are, that actually brings the plants into his line of vision. When he forgets what I said about them all he remembers is that I mentioned them so he helps me by digging them out. It's happened over and over so now I just try to watch them more carefully and pray a lot.

The hostas he dug out were ones I'd recently pointed out to him as keepers. I really need to get their forever home prepared for them. Then he can dig all the roots from under the eaves that he wants.
Yes, I also sent the orange lilies you liked in a post of my lily beds last summer. (I remember now) LOL , I do hope they all escape the hoe and bloom for you. :fl

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those bleeding hearts are not in an area spouse usually tends so they should be safe from the deadly hoe. I planted the lilies in two places -- one behind a large rock in the sunny part of the hosta garden and one where he might find himself hoeing. With luck, the one in danger should soon be tall enough to look like a flower plant rather than a sneaky weed. That would make it safe as well.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, I wonder if it would be effective for you to make little wooden stakes with "Please Leave Me Here" or something that would remind DH that you want that plant.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I fenced in a tiny iris -- a gift from an internet friend -- that spouse had already taken out before. He removed the fencing to get at the 'weeds' and replaced the fencing over a neatly hoed mound of soil.

Nope! He'd clean up the milk crates and rake away the signs. Best keep him busy with other chores away from danger.