I want to see your pumpkins!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMGP7900_web.jpg

I had a really good year with pumpkins this time. I am really happy with my peanut pumpkins (Galeux d'eysines). :) Last time I planted them, the vines died early of squash borers, so these are the first I've gotten. The bigger pumpkins are "Big Moon" from a packet that Ava picked out. I don't know what they weigh, but I couldn't pick them up and had to roll them where I wanted them. The striped ones are supposed to be Cushaws, but I think the seed I received was crossed up with a butternut. The necks weren't long and skinny enough from the pics I saw. The Waltham Butternuts always do well for me and there's 15 more of them piled in the basement. I use them to make soup. Then I planted only two seeds of the Jumbo Pink Banana squash and ended up with 12 of them. Even one by itself makes about 5 or 6 pies. I don't know what I'm going to do with all of those! We can't eat that much pumpkin pie in one year. Guess everyone is getting a pumpkin pie for Christmas, LOL. I read in Bill Best's book that the banana squash were regularly grown in early Appalachia and were probably acquired from the Native Americans. The settlers called them "candyroasters". They are much sweeter than regular pumpkin, very sugary.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't think of it. I'll go stick it over there. :) That poor little lopsided mum is the only hardy mum I've yet to kill. :p

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The green leaves to the left are a volunteer hollyhock. The leaf shape is similar really.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish I could grow the Pink Banana. It seems like I once tried. They were the pumpkin pie choice for us in southern Oregon :).

You know, I use a different squash but a "butternut bevy" is my soup recipe. It is really very similar to that zucchini (pumpkin) soup that I 've been goin' on about with all these extra pumpkins I've been a'growin'. Most recently, I used salmon instead of tuna. Ya know, the salmon was a good addition but not much better than tuna. I would not have thought of a tuna fish soup but it's just fine with pumpkin.

Steve
Ohh woo oh
So if you're tired of the
Same old story
Oh, baby turn some pages ~
REO Speedwagon, from the You Can Tune a Piano, but You Can't Tuna Fish album ;)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't think of it. I'll go stick it over there. :) That poor little lopsided mum is the only hardy mum I've yet to kill. :p
Journey- A few facts about mums. Most of the mums sold at roadside stands are NOT hardy even though they claim that they are. A local plant vendor told me they would not winter over if they were in bloom before being planted. She was, however, not very knowledgeable as far as I am concerned. So it is probably not your fault. All of those plants that look so perfect in pots are over fertilized and hormone treated. Many do not stand a chance for hardiness.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah, that totally makes sense then! And here I thought I had a brown thumb. LOL

ETA: I dunno, Steve. My taste buds are trying to imagine that unexpected combination... :p

Latest posts