I'm a-Workin' at the Stables!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm working with horses! :weee

I start working at my neighbor's stables on the 17th. The job goes through the summer and I take care of them every morning, $75 dollars a month (not much but along with experience and being able to say that I help seniors). I get Wednesdays off along with a day that I forgot about. I'll have to jugle this with schoolwork and working on the family farm but -

I'm working with horses! :weee

Now only if you horse owners could tell me more about them so I can look like I know what I'm doing...;)

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:celebrate... Congrats! Great experience for you!
I know that it hurts when you get bucked off ... :hide ... don't do that.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congratulations Seedo!
Probably the first thing that you will learn really well is that feed goes in the front end and comes out the back end.:D

I was your age when I got a job at a stable exercising horses and mucking stalls. Hard work, low pay, but I would have paid them to do it.

Be humble, admit your green, don't be afraid to ask questions. You may fool people but horses always know when you don't know what you're doing.

You strike me as a fast learner, and a capable guy. You're going to do great!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think this is awesome!! I learned so much from horses, got my 1st when i was 11. I've had several different jobs with horses, from just being a stable hand - feeding and shoveling poo, to being a wrangler for guests in Jackson Hole, WY. I dont own any now, but i have access if i want to ride or just hang out with some.

Anyway, my advice is to watch some Pat Parelli training videos. He has an intuitive way of working with horses. I learned a ton about my own body language and how to use it better to influence horses. I think it might help you to be safer when working around them. I saw a set of videos at our library, maybe you can find them there?? You may find that the owners at the stable where you'll be working have different techniques for working with the horses, and that's okay. But its a good place to start getting in a "horse mentality"

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think this is awesome!! I learned so much from horses, got my 1st when i was 11. I've had several different jobs with horses, from just being a stable hand - feeding and shoveling poo, to being a wrangler for guests in Jackson Hole, WY. I dont own any now, but i have access if i want to ride or just hang out with some.

Anyway, my advice is to watch some Pat Parelli training videos. He has an intuitive way of working with horses. I learned a ton about my own body language and how to use it better to influence horses. I think it might help you to be safer when working around them. I saw a set of videos at our library, maybe you can find them there?? You may find that the owners at the stable where you'll be working have different techniques for working with the horses, and that's okay. But its a good place to start getting in a "horse mentality"
Ma works at the library, I'll ask her to look for me next day she works. Meanwhile, I'll search YouTube and the internet for more information, that's after I get off of TEG of course... :D

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Also, basic safety:

Do not walk up to a horse from directly behind or directly in front. Their vision doesn't allow them to see in these two blind spots and you might startle them badly.

If you feed something to a horse, make your hand into a flat plate so as not to lose any fingers in the process.

Never EVER put your hand inside of a loop that is attached to a horse. If you loop a lead rope etc. Hold the outside of the loops so if the horse should take off, you won't get dragged.

Latest posts