I'm a-Workin' at the Stables!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awesome! Enjoy every minute of it and breathe in that wonderful horsey smell! :D

Probably the most helpful thing I first learned was about pressure points and where to apply a finger or two or a pointy elbow to keep the horse from crowding in and stepping into my personal space (or onto my toes.) I can't remember which horse show I first learned that on...might have been Parelli. They call it the "porcupine game". You can literally move over a 1200 lb. horse with just your finger!

Also, speaking of toes...you should get a pair of steel-toed boots for safety. Never wear sandals or light shoes around a horse. You can lose skin or get broken bones if you're stepped on.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awesome! Enjoy every minute of it and breathe in that wonderful horsey smell! :D

Probably the most helpful thing I first learned was about pressure points and where to apply a finger or two or a pointy elbow to keep the horse from crowding in and stepping into my personal space (or onto my toes.) I can't remember which horse show I first learned that on...might have been Parelli. They call it the "porcupine game". You can literally move over a 1200 lb. horse with just your finger!

Also, speaking of toes...you should get a pair of steel-toed boots for safety. Never wear sandals or light shoes around a horse. You can lose skin or get broken bones if you're stepped on.
Kind of like...what is it? Tipping cows? That is amazing that a person can move that large of an animal with so little.

Although I don't have any steel-toed boots I almost never wear sandals or light shoes, so it shouldn't be a problem.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is official. Drumroll..........SeedO is now at his dream job of

SUPER DUPER POOPER SCOOPER!!!
(*Queue confetti and kazoo noises*)

Wait a minute! I usually get stuck with that job! :p

I first picked up a poop scoop when I was about 5 years old, I've been cleaning up piles from dogs of all sizes ever since. (I have also cleaned up a few horse piles left in our driveway by a different neighbor's horse, I find them to smell a lot better than dog piles. And horse poop can be used as com-poo-st!:ya

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm working with horses! :weee

I start working at my neighbor's stables on the 17th. The job goes through the summer and I take care of them every morning, $75 dollars a month (not much but along with experience and being able to say that I help seniors). I get Wednesdays off along with a day that I forgot about. I'll have to jugle this with schoolwork and working on the family farm but -

I'm working with horses! :weee

Now only if you horse owners could tell me more about them so I can look like I know what I'm doing...;)
The best place to learn about horses is a 4-H club. I took my kids when they were fairly small and I learned a ton about horses. I don't know if you can find one, I don't know if there are too many around any more. When the vet and the farrier comes try to be there. They will happily teach you a lot. One thing to never forget is safety. People think that if there horse "loves" them they will never hurt the. There are a few crazy horses that will try to hurt a person. Most do not. But, you can easily get hurt by accident. When startled a horse can kick or just run you over. They do not want to hurt you. But they can hurt you just moving out of the way. My 2 old horses are sweet and gentle. They seem to have a special affinity for my 3 young grandsons. They go out of there way to let the boys pet them. I do not let them in the field with them and teach them safety first. Never walk behind a horse. They will not kick you the first 10,000 times that you walk behind them. But that next time…

Perhaps in time your employers will let you ride. If it's in the budget get some professional riding lessons. Riding is not just sitting on a horse. Make sure you show up. My neighbor hired a student for a great deal of money and she often did not show up and got fired.

There are some great horse magazines and I'm sure there are a lot of websites with good information. But just like everything else they make it seem a lot harder to keep a horse than it really is. The easy garden has a partner site called back yard herd. Have fun!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Adding on to AMKusa's tips.

When working around them, keep one hand on them. It helps them to always know where you are, and helps you to 'feel' that weight shift just before the foot moves (saves toes!)
WATCH them! Watch them with each other as often as you can. You will quickly learn to 'read' each one's expressions and moods from it's posture, ears and tail.
They like to have their foreheads rubbed - but most do not like to be patted on. Most like to have the space under their mane scratched, and most have ticklish bellies.
If one is crowding you - threatening to squash you against a wall or gate - a thumb pressed HARD into the lower side, between a couple of ribs,will quickly back them off.
Along those same lines - you go through doors/gates first. Then have them turn to face you before letting them go. If you are standing beside the horse's head when you remove the halter and turn them loose in a pasture, some will buck and kick as they pass you. If they're facing you, even if they whirl around, their heels are still a body-length away when they 'jump for joy'.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Adding on to AMKusa's tips.

Along those same lines - you go through doors/gates first. Then have them turn to face you before letting them go. If you are standing beside the horse's head when you remove the halter and turn them loose in a pasture, some will buck and kick as they pass you. If they're facing you, even if they whirl around, their heels are still a body-length away when they 'jump for joy'.

Oooh forgot about that one canesisters! Good one to add.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The best place to learn about horses is a 4-H club. I took my kids when they were fairly small and I learned a ton about horses. I don't know if you can find one, I don't know if there are too many around any more. When the vet and the farrier comes try to be there. They will happily teach you a lot. One thing to never forget is safety. People think that if there horse "loves" them they will never hurt the. There are a few crazy horses that will try to hurt a person. Most do not. But, you can easily get hurt by accident. When startled a horse can kick or just run you over. They do not want to hurt you. But they can hurt you just moving out of the way. My 2 old horses are sweet and gentle. They seem to have a special affinity for my 3 young grandsons. They go out of there way to let the boys pet them. I do not let them in the field with them and teach them safety first. Never walk behind a horse. They will not kick you the first 10,000 times that you walk behind them. But that next time…

Perhaps in time your employers will let you ride. If it's in the budget get some professional riding lessons. Riding is not just sitting on a horse. Make sure you show up. My neighbor hired a student for a great deal of money and she often did not show up and got fired.

There are some great horse magazines and I'm sure there are a lot of websites with good information. But just like everything else they make it seem a lot harder to keep a horse than it really is. The easy garden has a partner site called back yard herd. Have fun!
I happen to belong to 4H club myself, although it's one of those with the bad leaders that don't let you know when upcoming events are. I am probably the oldest one in the group by about 5-7 years (excluding my sister), not much community service types of activities going on. As soon as we move my sister and I are joining a new group. I'll have to have a talk with the people in the horse barn when it comes time to show my turkeys at the fair.

I've ridden the horse of yet another neighbor once, a slow oldie, and absolutely loved it.

I'll have to remember to take a look at the book/magazine rack at the local TSC next time I'm out that way.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Enjoy the job and learn every dy. You can do and you WILL do it well. We are all sure of that. :)

Latest posts