Inside Starts, Yours & Mine

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are my first seedlings at the South Window:!
DSC00917.JPG

Finished the taxes last week and just got the paper work off this table. Precious little sunlight! Gotta move a giant Broad-leaf Thyme outta this window! Where's it gonna go, where's it gonna go??

23 Giant Marconi this morning and you can just see the few Super Chili and a Garden Salsa showing up. The closest seedling may be a King of the North. It is just about time to get some more of these seeds in a brownie box!

Steve
never knows what or how many more pepper seeds needed in 2nd sowing

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful Steve!
I have yet to start my peppers. I always feel a little panicked when I see your starts up and leafing out before I even get soil in the flats!
Hopefully today. I said that yesterday, but we got so much stinkin' snow, and dh is away working all day now (yay! at last!) that it took me several hours to clear snow for the animals and off the paths by myself. I was bushed when I came in so I just put my feet up.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They've gone back to the top of the fridge where it will stay warmer overnight.

The thermostat is set for 61° at night but most of the house won't be that cool. It will be out here in the South Window, tho'! There are actually 2 windows right here. One is to the west but the deck roof, a tree, etc. shades it. That doesn't matter at night but the coolness of 2 large windows and a distance from the furnace makes for a cool location.

It doesn't seem much like March, does it? I have set up the plastic hoop house about this time in a couple of years. It has also fallen down twice from the weight of March snow! It doesn't much matter even if it could get thru these late winter weeks. Maybe I could have those 2 beds filled with some nice Asian greens a week or 2 sooner. That will happen and it depends more on the weather than how soon I get that plastic over those beds. Grudgingly, spring may come and I won't be trying to stop it out of spite.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Other seedlings are now showing but not all of them :/.

The Giant Marconi appear to be at 23 but the Super Chilies are now over a dozen, about a half dozen emerging for the others! All except . . . the Jalapeno M & the Anaheim.

Old seed. This may be a lesson in not buying the larger packets of some of the standards because the seed is cheap. The Jalapeno seed is now 6 years old.

Oh well, Jalapeno M is fine for me but I may soon have a reason to try Jalapa again. It did well in my garden but has undergone a name change . . ! I wish they wouldn't do this but what say do I have? Anyway, I'll make note of its new name here: Mitla. Now, back to wringing my hands over the Jalapeno M.

Steve
and, here's the sun! where did that come from?!

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two more boxes of pepper seed sown! And, I now have some snapdragon "dust" in a box of potting mix.

For the peppers it is a repeat of the same choices. Except, Thai Hot was missed in the first go-around. What is it, capsicum improves memory . . ? I feel a little limited in the pepper category and feel like the only excitement I'm creating for myself is growing the Carmen Sweets for a 3rd year. Yeah, next year I should do some more in the jalapeno corner and, probably try an alternative to the Anaheim. A few Jalapeno M are showing up from that ancient seed but not a single Anaheim!!

Better not drag my feet as much as usual with the broccoli & cabbage. Henery the Hawk may be keeping Benjamin Bunny under control this year! I say, you have to keep that boy focused! Focus boy, focus!! That boy's about as sharp as a bowling ball . . .

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took this photo yesterday. I put tomato seeds in here Friday February 14th and took the photo exactly one week later.. . .

View attachment 1290

RidgeRunner talked about this technique on another thread. I think it is real clever and can't remember seeing other folks do this.

It seems like it would overcome some of the problems in keeping the soil moisture in good supply.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20140307_132917_burst_01.jpg

After 9 days, the first pepper seedlings began to appear. It is now 13 days since approximately 160 seeds were sown. I've got 71% germination (114 plants). Zero Anaheim but there are now 5 Jalapeno . . . So, I went off to the garden center this morning and purchased more (fresher) Anaheim and Jalapeno (Early Jalapeno) seed.

They are in the soil mix. I'm a little anxious that my 2nd sowing with the olde Anaheim & Jalapeno seed may have just as poor of results. My $3.28 looks like good insurance against that. Just wish there was more choices on those garden center racks . . .

Ovation onion seedlings are coming along nicely!

Steve
misting today, hoping that will encourage the seed coats to drop.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I've always been curious about how you divide/place those labels. Don't some of the seeds cross over that fine line? I know that when I plant seeds in what I thought was a perfect straight line, they don't sprout where I thought they should. I would think some of them might get/fall into the label next to them. (I hope I'm making myself clear.)

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is true, Mary!

I wedge those markers into the mix and then place the seed in there in almost single file (with that many varieties in one box). They are so lightly covered on the soaked and stable soil.

How is it possible that some of them obviously "travel?" They are right against the markers.

I need some of those plants. Some, I need for neighbors. Some will actually be sold! It sure would be nice to know what they all are. If I can't figure it out, those travelers will have to go in the compost.

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's my White Lisbon bunching onions, can you see them? Haha, the tray on the left was planted almost 3 weeks ago and I only have 4 sprouts from maybe 15 seeds planted, not good! So I started a new tray today. This is brand new seed BTW :/ Oh - that's my watering "can" there on the right, and my indoor labels down on the left - a sharpie & roll of white medical tape. Oh -and my "heat mat" the blue Christmas lights!

034.JPG

My spindly cabbages (2) and brussel sprouts (5) The white mold is fairly concerning but I was pretty sure these guys were doomed when I planted them in January!
033.JPG

Latest posts