Is there a vegetable that I NEED to Plant?

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have been finishing up on the vegetable garden, and, I have one 10-15 foot section of a row that doesn't have anything in it yet. I already have the basics, carrots, tomatoes, corn, lettuce, spinach, beans, etc. But, I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions for plants that you really like and think deserve a place. A different kind of vegetable is on option, or, another variety of something that I already have would work too!

Let me know if you have suggestions!

Thanks.

Crunchie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just started some Lemon Cucumbers. Yummmm-ay. :D I could eat them all day long!

How about peppers? You say you have the basics, so I assume you already have bell-type peppers...but what about the hot ones? :) There are sooooo many varieties of fun (and pretty!) hot peppers. Or plant Ancho Poblanos....for making chiles rellenos. Yum yum yum...I have a co-worker who has some started Anchos for me. I can't wait!! :weee

Ok, now I'm hungry! :lol:

ETA: Purple Strawberry, we must be reading each other's minds!! :lol: I posted about lemon cucumbers at the same you did! Too funny...

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Crunchie said:
ETA: Purple Strawberry, we must be reading each other's minds!! :lol: I posted about lemon cucumbers at the same you did! Too funny...
I purchased a Lemon Cucumber plant at Lowe's and then last wek I found some seeds and purchased them also. So you have had them? Are they good? What is the taste like?

:rainbow-sun

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I say you should go for Herbs. They're always fun. If you don't want herb, I would go with a type of {fruitful} vine, Like melon or squash...

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

Well if you are into making Gumbo or fried okra, then okra is what you need.

If you are growing cukes for pickling then you need to add a row of garlic and a nice fat row of Dill. The Peppercorns you will have to buy separately.

Salsa would need Onions, Jalapenos, and would need a nice row of Cilantro (Coriander). Even the green onion shoots would be a worthy addition (think potatoe salad or chicken salad or even egg salad).

Did you mention Bell Peppers ? Gotta have bells for stuffed Bell Pepper, pepper steak, italian dishes, and nice Fajitas.

Which reminds me... You will need some Marjoram, Parsley, and Chives. Some Basil and Oregano will work too.

I have all of the above this year, including your list and Melons with Watermelon; I just thought of Jerusalem Artichokes, now that is something I think I may need.

I want to see pictures.

Take care, Ron

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Andy, I think that everyone should grow bok choy. Stir-fry is a great way to enjoy garden vegetables :).

Lemon cukes - seems like some people love 'em and some hate 'em. I like 'em just fine. They are robust and productive growers.

The key is harvesting at the right moment, Purple Strawberry. If they actually look like lemons - you've waited too long, to my way of thinking. They develop quite a few seeds and get a little bitter as they turn yellow. No, they don't really taste like lemons. They are crisp and very refreshing on a hot, summer day :cool:.

Steve

edited to make it a little more clear, I hope.

Latest posts