IS there any plant a chicken won't eat?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
In place of grass, not really... But, there are some bigger plantings, they don't bother with. I have small pine trees they don't touch. They also do not go after my lilac bushes. Both those plants I added to their area, as tiny plants. So, I would say those are safe.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pine Trees :D !

My hens have absolutely no interest in the mints, thyme and oregano in the backyard. The only problem for the chives is that they will practically uproot them scratching around in that spot.

Iris - the only flower I've got unfenced in the backyard . . . altho' the lilac may have grown enuf to bloom.

Periwinkle, altho' there again - they scratch around in it. If I was really concerned about keeping it neat - I'd lay rocks on the ground and the periwinkle could grow over them. The rocks could be of size that the hens wouldn't turn over.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Grandmaw always said,"A chicken will eat anything don't eat it first".

snowflake

Sprout
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Grandmaw always said,"A chicken will eat anything don't eat it first".
:yuckyuck

my chickens don't touch the lambs ear,fever few, day lilly, mums, sun flower varieties, roses,you do have to fence them off so they can get some growth but after they have reached a good height they seem safe, don't seem to bother the lavender,Annis Hysop ,thyme, .......they LOVE the hostas, and more tender plants :throw:throw

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve my chickens love oregano. We joke that we preseason our omlets.

The only thing I know that mine won't eat is onions. BUT... They will go down the row and pull them out and leave them lay if they are sets. They have never bother my garlic.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's interesting that humans seem to be about the only animal that will eat onions. Pigs, horses and cows will also turn up their noses at them.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My goats will nibble on the wild onions down by the creek occasionally, but they don't eat very much of it. I hear that it can make the milk taste like onion so I guess it's a good thing.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
one of my hens goes crazy over the garlic where it is planted and starts sprouting in the early spring. she'll nibble all the tops off them and then use the area to take a dirt (not dust) bath in them. :rolleyes: she's done this 2 years in a row and gets to the tops before i get a chance to cut them for my own use. the year i had garlic growing in my garage in a tub of dirt she found it and dug it all up and ate them all. i love this crazy hen but i can't figure how to keep her away from this plant! :barnie though it is comical to see her enthralled and getting dirty trying to get to the garlic!

Latest posts