Is this rhubarb bolting.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh now, we are all allowed our unique food tastes, Lesa. No matter how . . . umm . . .

Are you sure that you are cut out for living in upstate NY?

Golly, we gotta go with whatever we can find out there, you know! Or, chase down! I'm thinking of setting up snares for Canada geese!

Steve Survival

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My 2 yr old plant did the same thing, but I waited to see what would come if I didn't cut the stalk off.
Well I'll never do that again, a lot of energy must go to developing that stalk as my plant only produced 3 stalks that were usable.
I did finally cut it off but I thought it was too late. I've kept a close eye on this plant and every day it looked worse, I pretty well chalked it up as a loss when I saw that something was eating the one leaf left.

I hadn't looked at it since last week and today I was harvesting some of this years I have in containers outside the garden. I looked at the older one and it has 4 new stalks and the one dead leaf. I harvested that old stalk and I think the plant will bounce back.

All that being said if it were my plant I'd cut that flower stalk off as soon as I seen it.

THANX RICH

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dickie, I agree if you care to harvest rhubarb- you should cut the flower off. Since, I really don't use it much- I don't bother. It is a plant from my grandmother's garden, so I am fond of it for sentimental reasons- but it still tastes too bitter for me to enjoy....

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
The plant seemed to stop thriving after cutting its head off a couple weeks ago. Checked it on monday and I see some new growth starting at the base.
Steve, Rhubarb BBQ sause actually sounds good to me. DW made plum BBQ sauce last year, it was good on chicken and pork but was a little zestless. I was thinking of grinding up a canned Jalapeno and stirring it in to sort of fire it up a little.
If you have a snare that works on birds let me use it, I have what seems like hundreds of Starlings In my evergreens it is pure chaos. I dont know if they are nesting or what, But a Raven comes around in the evening and all heck breaks loose. A snare would work if I could just figure out how to suspend it in mid air LOL.

Lesa, I dont like Straight rhubarb either, But I really like raspberry-rhubarb jam as well as blueberry-rhubarb jam. And who doesnt like strawberry-rhubarb pie or cobbler yum.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I ate too much because I like crust and doubled it up so realized I probably ate a quarter stick of butter and a quarter cup of brown sugar at one sitting without realizing it.... I'm going to die.