Little confusion

lnm03

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to this site but not new to gardening. I have never really looked into the "zones" and now I am and Im a bit confused.....I think I am in zone 5b can anyone verify that for me? I live in Allen county in Indiana.

Also, if I am in Zone 5B I was looking at Zones 5-6 Planting schedule for the spring planting dates is that starting with seeds or are you suppose to start indoors sooner than that?

Thank you for all your help! I have had some troubles in the past with a few plants so I thought maybe if I payed more attention to when they should be planted instead of when I decide to go out and plant maybe I will have better luck!!!

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey there--- I used to work in a garden shop, and they always said to plant after May 15 to be safe. You can start stuff in the house earlier, and plant "cold crops" outside earlier too. I've kinda lost track, but maybe this will help. :welcome

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bluebird is right.... a lot of us are in warmer zones and still can't plant outside yet but we're starting our seeds indoors to be ready to plant outside. In your zone you probably want to take bluebird's advice. Start your seeds indoors... some 6-8 weeks before they go outside, and some 8-10 weeks before you move them outside!

ETA: :welcome

lnm03

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So, it says I should start carrots, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower ect end of march beginning of april. Is that when I should put them out or is that when I start inside or should I start inside now?? Thank you for the welcome!! I love this site!!;):D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would start all those by seed outside. BUT you can start Broccoli inside 3 weeks before you move it out.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lnm03 said:
So, it says I should start carrots, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower ect end of march beginning of april. Is that when I should put them out or is that when I start inside or should I start inside now?? Thank you for the welcome!! I love this site!!;):D
I'm in 5b and I would put the stuff you listed outside the end of April. That's plants...so you would start seed inside a month or so earlier. I don't start any of that stuff from see though. :)

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Latest posts