Mobile Home Goddess

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, not me, I'm not the Mobile Home Goddess. But I figure there must be one and I've really ticked her off and She has unleashed the Doublewide Demons on me. I went to our future home on Monday, bought Sherwin Williams paint. The good stuff. $$$$$ Two five gallon buckets and two one gallon buckets.

Monday afternoon I dragged the site for the carport that was to be delivered. Good neighbors Robert and Jerry came over and helped me change from the bush hog to the box blade and I pushed dirt for several hours until almost dark. The next day, Robert was back to check on me and thought I did a fair job of leveling the site. He admired that tractor so hard, he was kinda drooling. I felt like Tom Sawyer when I offered to "let" him push dirt. He jumped at the chance and spent the next 3 hours, happy as a hog in a mudhole, playing with the tractor in the dirt. He did a MUCH better job that I did.

I painted ceilings Tuesday. ALL the ceilings and got half of then cut in around the trim. Overhead with a roller as hard as I could go all day, I thought my arms would fall off. Wednesday I started on the walls. The paint alligatored. :barnie It went on beige, then separated and looked like snow on the walls. We had primed the walls earlier with Kilz. Darn. Just what I needed, PROBLEMS! :th I found that if I let the paint get half dry and rolled it again, it would spread out-mostly. :\ I probably rolled each wall about a hundred times. Really got my exercise! :rant

House alligator paint.jpg

Thursday I painted the rest of the house and rolled the crap out of the walls, trying to get the paint to stick. Mobile home walls-- :he vinyl wrapped sheetrock crappy walls :he Me and the Mobile Home Goddess had some ugly words. Guess I made her mad, cause the Doublewide Demons showed up. It was the second round of paint, the first kind bubbled up and didn't stick, but we only did a small patch. I paid so much money for the Sherwin Williams, I knew it HAD to be the craptastic walls, not the paint, so I just kept rolling the walls over and over, trying to get the stinking paint to stick to the stinking WALLS! :barnie

I ran out of paint and went back to get some more. Told Mr. Paint Store Man what it was doing and he was very concerned. Well, THAT was confusing! WHAT? CUSTOMER SERVICE??? He actually went to the house this morning (Friday) to see for himself what it was doing. We could find no reason for the paint to alligator like that, he went over all the possibilities and finally just had to conclude "I don't know." Mr. Paint Store Man offered me a free 5 gallon bucket of paint for when I go back to put on the second coat. I was so impressed that he actually went to the house, the free offer was nice too. Grumble.......Mobile Home Walls....... :smack

So I wonder what I can do to appease the Mobile Home Goddess and get her to call off the Doublewide Demons. Hmmm.......maybe sacrifice a baby goat over a roaring fire in the front yard.....probably have to perform some rituals too. Bang paint cans together, throw dirt over my right shoulder and stick my hand in a rotten stump full of rainwater and eat a peanut butter sandwich while mumbling OH GREAT MOBILE HOME GODDESS--PLEASE HAVE MERCY ON THESE WALLS AND LET THE PAINT STICK. yeah, that oughta do it.

On a happier note, the carport got delivered and set up on Thursday afternoon. Progress.

Carport.jpg

It's 24' wide and 21' deep.

Here's a shot of the master bedroom walls, beige walls, light beige/off white ceilings and the trim is not painted yet. Needs second coat of paint, but you get the idea. Look closely and you can see the white primer showing through the paint. :tongue

house MB during.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
In spite of your problems it's looking good Bay! And that is sure some level dirt under that carport. :)

Re: the alligator paint, -ya know, some people pay lots of money for custom textured walls....just sayin'.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know much about these things but you got the Kilz to stick okay, Bay'. I would have thought it would all be smooth sailing from there ...

I had a utility type cabinet built and wasn't happy with how it looked. Tried to slap some good quality high gloss on it. It was what I'd used for a kitchen ceiling and you can imagine, I was pretty uncertain about that but that paint did fine. Not on the cabinet!!

Wiped it off in an absolute panic! Checked and found out there is spray-on paint for plastic (& wood). The high gloss was happy with that as an undercoat.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
In spite of your problems it's looking good Bay! And that is sure some level dirt under that carport. :)

Re: the alligator paint, -ya know, some people pay lots of money for custom textured walls....just sayin'.
I'm with @thistlebloom here. My first thought was to tell everyone you planned the paint to look like that and dare them to try and replicate the beauty of your one-of-a-kind walls.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So sorry to hear of your frustration on what should have been a piece of cake! I'd be concerned about putting anything over something that already isn't sticking. Sometimes it's good to sand questionable surfaces in advance of Kilz and paint. Of course who knows WHAT is in the surface of trailer panels, so I would be wearing a respirator. I know it will look great once you get the solution figured out! Good luck with all that.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, did you wash down the walls before putting on the Kilz? I'm wondering if there is some sort of reaction either between the (possible) oily film on the walls and the kilz and the latex paint, or maybe they are oil-based vinyl panel walls?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, didn't wash down the walls. They are vinyl coated imitation wall paper sheetrock. Kinda late now to back up and scrub the walls...... :idunno

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
He scraped the paint and said it was sticking better than he had expected. We decided to let it set for a week or so and get good and dry, then I'll second coat it. I put a second coat in the utility room and it turned out ok. Now if the Mobile Home Goddess will just put those Doublewide Demons back in the longneck beer bottle she popped them out of........

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i agreed with thislebloom. people pay big bucks for snowflake paint. you should have gone to wally world for your paint, lol. and you know once the lids off a long neck it ain't goin' back on, just take a long drink and keep paintin'. sorry this is happening.

Latest posts