Mustangs come to visit

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are nothing more than ferral horses. Domestic horses turned loose by people that could no longer care for them due to the new federal law championed by the bleeding hearts that stoped horse slaughter in the US., as well as the bad economy. They cause untold dammage to livestock owners as well as native fauna . One of my neighbors in Cal. owns a 10,000 acre cattle ranch. His dammage included over 100 tons of feed stored in his barn destroyed by the ferral horses when they broke into the corral and barn ...pulled apart the bagged feed,ate, deficated and urinated on the spilled cattle feed . He then rounded up 37 abandened ferral horses that did not belong to him ( several of them even had halters on them. No rescue would take them!!! Not even the BLM. Between attorney fees, court costs, 4 months of feed , housing, Vet. costs, etc. to get legal ownership, then trucking them to Mexico to be slaughtered cost him an arm and a leg.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mustang is basically what Bob said. Mustangs are feral horses that, in the past, were turned loose or escaped from their owners. They found the western area ideal for their lifestyle and might have eventually become a breed of horse, but their ranks are continuously being expanded by the release of unwanted horses.

Like any over population of animals, they cause problems for farmers, ranchers, wildlife preserves, and even National Parks in the area where they roam.

The term Mustang is a Spanish one meaning wild horse -- or more specifically wild grazer.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mustang is basically what Bob said. Mustangs are feral horses that, in the past, were turned loose or escaped from their owners. They found the western area ideal for their lifestyle and might have eventually become a breed of horse, but their ranks are continuously being expanded by the release of unwanted horses.

Like any over population of animals, they cause problems for farmers, ranchers, wildlife preserves, and even National Parks in the area where they roam.

The term Mustang is a Spanish one meaning wild horse -- or more specifically wild grazer.
You are truly a teacher at heart. ;) Thanks for the lesson.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still, I am with Valley. Since I am not a western farmer, rancher, or government worker on public lands, I think it would be cool to have a visit from these wild horses.

However, it could easily turn into a, "Call Uncle Frank to kill Bambi" situation if they caused problems for me and mine.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
These mustang are not horses turned out recently. Originally they were those left by the Spanish, later some got loose from early settlers and those decendent of horses from the cavalry horses, that were turned loose. There may be a few that got away or were let loose today, but they would have a hard time intering a band. There are some camels that were brought here to be used by the cavalry and in the mines, they were let loose when the were not permitted on the highways anymore, and donkeys also let loose by the miners. They still have camel races in Virgina City.

Much of this is Open Range, you fence you land or you don't complain about the horses or cattle. If anyone wants to know how to build a proper fence they only need ask.

Latest posts