Mustangs come to visit

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny never knew camels run wild in USA,
Yup ! Also, Ostrich, Emu, and PIGS. Pigs are starting to become thick as theives near our ranch in Cal. so the local ranchers invite their city friends to a weekend shoot , then have a BBQ .

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wild hogs are spreading everywhere. They haven't come this far north yet but are on their way. They are in the southern part of the state right now.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I've only seen camels at the camel races in Virgina City, none have come by here. Donkeys{ they don't come by here ether, live in the desert also having the same origin, the Cavalry and Miner. Fort Churchhill is a short distance from here and is a state park today.

Have you seen, I think the name of the movie is: "In Search of Honor", about the end of our use of horses in the military, very worth watching, very worth knowing.

The, what are called: Wild Horses, are a part of our history,, worked for us, lived with us, were in our army, not anything like stray dogs or feral cats or pigs, we respect them. Yes, some were here from the time of the Spanish. These are not dirty, in the way pests that have no right to life as thought of by pests, every thing is in their way and nobody knows anything except them, they, themselves tend at times to get in the way.

We try to get Highway fencing to end the danger to the driver and the horses. For example along Hwy 50, refered to as: The Lonelyest Highway in America.

The band that in the pictures were from Stagecoach, just west of here, the roan stalion and the lead mare tend a fair size band, it's good to see them here ready to make friends or sigh a treaty.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Horses!!!!!! One of the most divisive animals there are. Some LOVE them, and will do whatever they can to protect them. Some of us are glad someone else has to take care of them-and treat them like deer. They are not native animals. They have no value in nature. Can't eat them. What value are they? Can't believe we spend tax money on them..... What next, protect starlings and English sparrows?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Horses!!!!!! One of the most divisive animals there are. Some LOVE them, and will do whatever they can to protect them. Some of us are glad someone else has to take care of them-and treat them like deer. They are not native animals. They have no value in nature. Can't eat them. What value are they? Can't believe we spend tax money on them..... What next, protect starlings and English sparrows?
Well @seedcorn you CAN eat them. Many cultures do.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I agree let's spend no more of our money. The BLM should stop spending our money to manage the wild horses. Congress made it illegal to drive them with Aircraft over 50 years ago, yet they are doing just that, killing and injuring some. The BLM can manage the raccoon or the mice or nothing, don't spend our money on that.
leave them alone. You and I are not native, nothing is until it is.
They are a beautiful part of our history. Yes, we love them.

We love people too, let's not poison them.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
People > animals. Any animal too thick, doing damage, thin them.

If we ate them (processed in USA) I'd be ok with that. I'd eat a Trigger as fast as a Bambi, Elsie, Porkie......

Latest posts